Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Islamey... cheats or ossias?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline virdix92

Islamey... cheats or ossias?
on: August 27, 2015, 10:43:21 PM

Hi :) I've listened many version of this piece, and I noticed that many pianists (kissin also, i think) don't play "filler notes" (I don't know how to call them in english) in the octaves passage at 1:46 (page 5, staff 2 in the score). I found only three performances on youtube where I can hear clearly these notes (and they're slow performances).. Is this a cheat or an ossia written by balakirev?? thank you and sorry for my bad english :)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Islamey... cheats or ossias?
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:42:23 AM

Hi :) I've listened many version of this piece, and I noticed that many pianists (kissin also, i think) don't play "filler notes" (I don't know how to call them in english) in the octaves passage at 1:46 (page 5, staff 2 in the score). I found only three performances on youtube where I can hear clearly these notes (and they're slow performances).. Is this a cheat or an ossia written by balakirev?? thank you and sorry for my bad english :)

Yes, Balakirev wrote the ossia.

Offline virdix92

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:46 AM
Yes, Balakirev wrote the ossia.

Do you know in which edition can I find it? In the free one there are'nt any ossias in the 2' staff...

Offline virdix92

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:54 AM
P.S.
I'm talking about the RH octave passage!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:01:12 AM
P.S.
I'm talking about the RH octave passage!

I looked at my urtext edition by Könemann, but am away now, so cannot check again if we were on the same page...I can check tonight and send you a scan if you PM me.

Offline virdix92

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:12:15 AM
I looked at my urtext edition by Könemann, but am away now, so cannot check again if we were on the same page...I can check tonight and send you a scan if you PM me.
Ok tank you

Offline evryali

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 03:24:40 AM
Mind sending me the pm for the score also.
my best pieces
Islamey
Wtc prelude and fugue no.16
Chopin nocturnes op.48

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 06:49:24 AM
The page turns are very different in my score. So I had to listen to the recording to find the spot you are talking about. There is no Ossia on the RH.

It would be very good to specify measure numbers in the score to avoid confusion :)

Offline virdix92

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 12:37:28 PM
The page turns are very different in my score. So I had to listen to the recording to find the spot you are talking about. There is no Ossia on the RH.

It would be very good to specify measure numbers in the score to avoid confusion :)

Bars 77-78 and 81-82 :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert