Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: 4th Finger performance is limiting my progress  (Read 1864 times)

Offline ssssass

4th Finger performance is limiting my progress
on: September 19, 2015, 04:54:10 PM
Dear all,

I have been a piano player for 13 years. I have always had some difficulties with the 4th finger articulation and control (as all pianist have). The matter is that as the other fingers' performance continues improving during the years, the difference between the 4th finger and the rest are getting huge. Let me explain you a little more:

1) I am having problems with the 4th finger in both hands

2) When my hands get cold, I really suffer to articulate the 4th finger, it is a strange sensation, like if the weighted tons

3) Trilling with the 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th in the right hand is impossible for me

4) Most of the problems with the 4th finger comes from arpeggios, trills and scale passages:

- For example in the Beethoven's op27 mov3 sonata, when the arpeggios in the right hand involve the 4th finger, or when there are octaves with trills included in the right hand.

- Liszt Liebestraum: the left hand down and up arpeggios when the right hands plays only chords

- Chopin Etudes: Op10 n5 when the right hand's arpeggios involve the 4th finger, op10 n12 the ascendant scales in the left hand, op25 n12 when the arpeggios involve the 4th finger in both hands

This problem is really driving me nuts. I am looking forward to finding new exercises or solutions to improve my 4th fingers performance. This is why I am asking here in this forum! Anyone willing to help?

Thank you very much

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: 4th Finger performance is limiting my progress
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 07:51:07 PM
If it's any consolation Chopin had the same problem.  If you're after using the hand in a natural way you'll come against this particular hurdle.  Those who say it isn't there are failing to use a natural 'conformation' (to use Chopin's word).  
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:35:59 PM
In my first year of piano, I spent fifteen minutes a day drilling through the Schmitt exercises.  These boring mechanical exercises tremendously stress the fourth and fifth fingers.  They are available for download at piano street.  I used the G. Schirmer book.  Like any exercise, stress and repetition build up the muscles and the nerves that control them.  Be sure to keep wrists straight, curve the fingers naturally, let the arms droop slightly from the elbows, head up, neck and back straight.  This posture helps avoid spine  injury and carpal tunnel.  Your bench may need adjustment. 
I'm not as fast as some professionals on a 4-5 trill, but I can squeeze in four notes @ mm 130 on the famous Op 27 trills, where many pros have recorded only two.  
I suggest you get back to basics. It would be really boring practicing this at your current skill level, but "you can't have your pudding unless you eat your beets".  To quote Pink Floyd.  After Schmitt, comes Edna Mae Berman exercises (2nd through 4th year) then Czerny School of Velocity.  

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 05:23:08 PM
In my first year of piano, I spent fifteen minutes a day drilling through the Schmitt exercises.  These boring mechanical exercises tremendously stress the fourth and fifth fingers.  They are available for download at piano street.  I used the G. Schirmer book.  Like any exercise, stress and repetition build up the muscles and the nerves that control them.  

Bernhard would turn in his grave.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline eduardom

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:12:31 PM
I would suggest some Hanon excercises (from the second part, from nº20 to nº30) to strengthen 4th and 5th finger and improve in the articulation of those, at least it worked for me.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:32 PM
Dear all,

I have been a piano player for 13 years. I have always had some difficulties with the 4th finger articulation and control (as all pianist have). The matter is that as the other fingers' performance continues improving during the years, the difference between the 4th finger and the rest are getting huge. Let me explain you a little more:

1) I am having problems with the 4th finger in both hands

2) When my hands get cold, I really suffer to articulate the 4th finger, it is a strange sensation, like if the weighted tons

3) Trilling with the 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th in the right hand is impossible for me

4) Most of the problems with the 4th finger comes from arpeggios, trills and scale passages:

- For example in the Beethoven's op27 mov3 sonata, when the arpeggios in the right hand involve the 4th finger, or when there are octaves with trills included in the right hand.

- Liszt Liebestraum: the left hand down and up arpeggios when the right hands plays only chords

- Chopin Etudes: Op10 n5 when the right hand's arpeggios involve the 4th finger, op10 n12 the ascendant scales in the left hand, op25 n12 when the arpeggios involve the 4th finger in both hands

This problem is really driving me nuts. I am looking forward to finding new exercises or solutions to improve my 4th fingers performance. This is why I am asking here in this forum! Anyone willing to help?

Thank you very much
PM me
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:22:52 AM
Bernhard would turn in his grave.

Thal
Bernhard passed? Quite a shame.
Good to see you're still around though mate
@OP Try playing chromatic scales using 5 on C and F, and 3-4 on everything else (originally stolen from Josh Wright, who took it from Paul Barton, who may have taken it from someone else). It's great for improving strength in 3 4 and 5.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert