Piano Forum logo
November 24, 2017, 12:22:02 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Gould’s Favourite Piece but not his Favourite Piano

Neither of the two Gould recordings of J.S. Bach´s Goldberg Variations (1955 and 1981) were made on Gould´s favourite instrument. The Aria is played here on a Yamaha grand, shortly before Gould´s death in October 1982. Read more >>

Poll
Question: Which Chopin Scherzo is your favorite?
Scherzo #1
Scherzo #2
Scherzo #3
Scherzo #4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Chopin Scherzo  (Read 1269 times)
pencilart3
PS Silver Member

« on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

Yes, I have of course used the search function, this topic has never been made here as far as I can tell. These may be my favorite compositions by Chopin, perhaps after his ballades and etudes, and I want to start long-range planning for one or two of them in a few years. And I am interested to know which one is your favorite?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

youtube.com/noahjohnsonpiano
tritone_player
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:19:32 PM »

The sickest one is obviously the third.
The second is the most well-known and probably the most played.
The first is the least difficult, followed by the second and then the third as the most difficult (haven't played the 4th, but some say it is even harder than #3).
You would probably want to learn them in order.
Horowitz's recordings of the second and third scherzi from the 1957 LP "Horowitz Plays Chopin" are the greatest performances of those pieces ever, in my opinion.
pencilart3
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »

The sickest one is obviously the third.
The second is the most well-known and probably the most played.
The first is the least difficult, followed by the second and then the third as the most difficult (haven't played the 4th, but some say it is even harder than #3).
You would probably want to learn them in order.
Horowitz's recordings of the second and third scherzi from the 1957 LP "Horowitz Plays Chopin" are the greatest performances of those pieces ever, in my opinion.

Cool! Thanks for the info. My favorite is the first, but just by a tiny, tiny bit. The 4th is REALLY close behind it for me. Lol the 3rd one is the only one I don't really like. Wink

Wait a minute, are you serious that the 1st is the easiest for most people? I read through it today (terribly, and at about a speed of 2 Grin) And I found it very, very difficult. I have played most of the second and I didn't find it nearly as hard. It could just be me though.

Horowitz does a nice job, but I think I prefer Pollini. He really makes the first an absolutely beautiful piece. Same with all the other scherzi but other people can play 2, 3, and 4 almost as well, but his first scherzo is the best, IMO. Smiley

listesso_tempo
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »

My favourite is the third, which I play. If you have good octaves, it is not that more difficult than second or first, which seem manageable. If you can play one, you can pretty much tackle the others, but I find forth to be the most complex of them all.

Benjamin Grosvenor, Pogorelich and Argerich have fine interpretations of the third.
kevonthegreatpianist
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:17 AM »

Cool! Thanks for the info. My favorite is the first, but just by a tiny, tiny bit. The 4th is REALLY close behind it for me. Lol the 3rd one is the only one I don't really like. Wink

Wait a minute, are you serious that the 1st is the easiest for most people? I read through it today (terribly, and at about a speed of 2 Grin) And I found it very, very difficult. I have played most of the second and I didn't find it nearly as hard. It could just be me though.

Horowitz does a nice job, but I think I prefer Pollini. He really makes the first an absolutely beautiful piece. Same with all the other scherzi but other people can play 2, 3, and 4 almost as well, but his first scherzo is the best, IMO. Smiley
The order IMO is 2,1/3,4. 1 and 3 are about the same difficulty, although in different ways.

i like rafeal josefy's interpretations.

I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.
kevonthegreatpianist
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:23:08 AM »

you basically copied my post from June, although in a different way   Wink Angry

tritone_player
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 02:05:09 AM »

The only reason why some might say the first is easier is because a lot of material is repeated, so that's less for you to learn. A lot of the passages feel awkward at first but with some slow practice they become pretty easy to get under your fingers. Out of all the scherzi, the first probably has the hardest coda.

Pollini is great also, I like his second sonata. The really great Horowitz recording of the first scherzo I think is the one from the 1960s, the sforzandos are executed so well and the clarity he achieves is legit. Also, if you plan to learn the first, check out how Horowitz replaces the chromatic scale in both hands at the end with an interlocking octaves chromatic scale (like the kind at the end of Tchaikovsky 1). I think an interlocking octaves scale is easier to play than what's written, yet people's minds explode when they see you play the scale in octaves.
pencilart3
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 04:27:54 AM »

The only reason why some might say the first is easier is because a lot of material is repeated, so that's less for you to learn. A lot of the passages feel awkward at first but with some slow practice they become pretty easy to get under your fingers. Out of all the scherzi, the first probably has the hardest coda.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the help! I listened to 3 a few more times today and it's growing on me a little. I still don't like it too much, but I don't dislike it at all. Cool

kevonthegreatpianist
PS Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 05:00:39 AM »

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the help! I listened to 3 a few more times today and it's growing on me a little. I still don't like it too much, but I don't dislike it at all. Cool
the first scherzo is fav. its even my fav chopin work

pencilart3
PS Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »

the first scherzo is fav. its even my fav chopin work

Yeahh... go first Scherzo. I can't believe the 4th doesn't have any votes. And I thought the 2nd one was the most popular but it's sitting at 0!

kevonthegreatpianist
PS Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »

Yeahh... go first Scherzo. I can't believe the 4th doesn't have any votes. And I thought the 2nd one was the most popular but it's sitting at 0!
it is the most popular. piano street even has a description of it. its just not that likable

listesso_tempo
PS Silver Member

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 12:08:17 AM »

schumaniac
PS Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:53 AM »

Whoo first vote for Scherzo 4 but more because my friend played it and so I am familiar af with it
pencilart3
PS Silver Member

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »

Whoo first vote for Scherzo 4 but more because my friend played it and so I am familiar af with it

Yeah it's my favorite now lol OH HOW THE TIDES CHANGE

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: