Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Online Piano teacher wanted!  (Read 4741 times)

Offline musiclessonsanywhere

• PS Silver Member
Online Piano teacher wanted!
on: October 13, 2015, 07:28:58 AM
Over the last two years I have successfully filled my timetable with online piano students from around the world. I love my job but there are only so many hours in the day! So I’m looking for a piano teacher to work with me.

This is a freelance opportunity to take on new students when required.

Please read this link for further details
https://musiclessonsanywhere.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/MusicLlessonsAnywhere_TEACHER_AD.pdf

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Online Piano teacher wanted!
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:44:55 PM
My mother told me never to trust strange people on the internet.    ;D

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:16:25 PM
My mother told me never to trust strange people on the internet.    ;D

LOL

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 02:37:17 PM

wonder what the shark tank folks would think of this business. 

I am too lazy to click the link

Do you pay me or am I paying you for leads?  At what point does your involvement with the student end.  Is there any kind of pre-screening of potential students or will that be left to me.  How are these leads acquired?  What kind of marketing are you doing to grow this business and how are you able to better promote my services?

What advantages and extras make this company stand out from the competition...  why can't I just do this same thing myself?

What is the total investment on my part...  what kind of guarantee do you provide

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:58:25 PM
Hi, nothing sharky about me in the slightest ;-) I am simply looking for a piano teacher, as this is a teachers section on a piano forum I thought it  would be the best place to start. If you read the attachment the details are all there, any further information feel free to email me.

I left my job over 2 years ago as head Of Music in a large International school where where I ran the music department, taught piano and managed an after school music school. The stress and commute led me to re think my career and I was ready for a change after teaching at the school for 12 years. Teaching piano was always my love so I decided to explore teaching piano via Skype, now I teach 60 students a week from all over the world. Teaching via Skype is not that different to teaching one-one the teacher is me not a cyborg and my students all get excellent results in their ABRSM exams.

Got to go, I have a student  :)

Read my testimonials https://musiclessonsanywhere.net/endorsements/

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:49 PM
I'd be interested in seeing answers to some of dcstudio's specific questions.  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:38:48 PM
I'd be interested in seeing answers to some of dcstudio's specific questions.  :)

Keypeg, dcstudio has not read the link about the job (own words - I am too lazy to click the link) so I feel like I have nothing to reply to.

If you are interested in teaching piano live online, read the link and get in touch. I have a waiting list and am looking for a piano teacher to work with me.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:16 AM
Keypeg, dcstudio has not read the link about the job (own words - I am too lazy to click the link) so I feel like I have nothing to reply to.

If you are interested in teaching piano live online, read the link and get in touch. I have a waiting list and am looking for a piano teacher to work with me.

ok... so I would be paying you for leads.. why didn't you just say so..

are you offended because I made a specific inquiry about your post before I went wandering around your website? ...and even though I asked very relevant questions, because you feel offended-- you now say you have nothing to reply too?   

you sound like just the type of person I would like to go into business with...

um... good luck with your online venture...   sounds like you have it all figured out.  

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 11:51:03 AM
If you find good online piano teachers, I think I'm interested
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:26:20 PM
I think you'll find we have plenty of our own.  I used to teach someone in Thailand.  I'm too lazy to do it on any regular basis now.  Anyway, all you need is someone to say to you every week - 'No, that's not relaxed' for about 3 or 4 years then maybe they'll say yes.  Money for old rope really!
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
It's simple really and all in the link in the original post.

I am a piano teacher with 60 students (mostly online) a week, I have 10 students on a waiting list and I am looking for another piano teacher who would like to work on a freelance basis for me as I can't teach more than 60 students a week. I am hoping to turn Music Lessons Anywhere into a music school, eventually I will be looking for other instrumental teachers to join me.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
I think you'll find we have plenty of our own.  I used to teach someone in Thailand.  I'm too lazy to do it on any regular basis now.  Anyway, all you need is someone to say to you every week - 'No, that's not relaxed' for about 3 or 4 years then maybe they'll say yes.  Money for old rope really!

You taught your student online?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 04:36:47 PM
You taught your student online?
Yes on Skype.   And, as it turns out, I'm an ex-head of music myself so I feel your pain so-to-speak! 
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:52 PM
Yes on Skype.   And, as it turns out, I'm an ex-head of music myself so I feel your pain so-to-speak!  

The pain was in the past as a multi tasking school music teacher, but I'm happy teaching piano from home now, but just as busy!

It would be quite interesting to know how many students piano teachers here teach a week, I'm learning to say no beyond 60, just hope I can find another teacher with a similar teaching style to mine to work with.    

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:36:02 PM
I prefer a multi-tasking environment myself.  I wouldn't (didn't) like doing it from home.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 11:18:53 AM
Some thoughts I had when first reading the PDF.  There are specifics - the ABRSM for example.  You are addressing international teachers and the idea of teaching "everywhere", but the ABRSM is specific to the UK and perhaps a few other places.  Do you mean to keep it that narrow?  For example, in Canada the system nation-wide is RCM, and I think the US has still another system.

My other thought is that teachers, especially mature experienced teachers, each develop their own way of teaching.  If this is to be an extension of your teaching can it really work as such, unless you take on junior beginner teachers whom you would train into your own system?  I am familiar with the on-line teaching styles of several teachers who are on this board.  Each is very different, and I would not want any of them to adapt to the other's style.

When you write of freelance - this actually goes to Dcpiano's one question - because freelance simply means that one is working independently for customers, rather than being employed.  I am wondering whether, if this does not work out, another model might be an exchange among colleagues.  Say for example that someone in Canada teaching RCM gets a student who wants ABRSM, so that person passes the student on to you, and vice versa.  Or you get a network of ABRSM teachers who can refer students back and forth among each other.

I work freelance in another profession, and we are bouncing around similar ideas, which is why I'm mentioning them.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 11:33:36 AM
I have been studying on Skype for several years with one teacher, and with that teacher's permission, branched off to side-studies with a second teacher who has his own specialized angle.  Musiclessonsanywhere, on your site you say that in-studio lessons and on-line lessons are the same - I would say that they are not.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Good lessons will include the physical component; how the student sits, moves, uses the hands etc.  If natural, you leave it alone and maybe tweak it over time.  Simply trying to produce the right sounds, the music, if the physical part isn't working, is frustrating.  This is the weak spot in on-line lessons, and something we have worked to overcome.  We have two sets of cameras to content with --- that of the teacher, and that of the student.  In live lessons the teacher can walk around the student, and can also touch a shoulder and say "relax this area".  We sorely miss this in on-line lessons.

That said, on another instrument I got into technical trouble because the teacher was not that observant, and on piano, my on-line lessons are actually more effective even for the physical, than the in-studio lessons had been.

On-line does not need to limit itself to the interaction on Skype.  Do you save the videos of the interaction, so that your student can study and rewind the lesson to get more out of it?  (In-studio some teachers now tape the lesson, or the student does) for the same purpose.  Some on-line teachers create teaching videos on particular subjects, which all students can work with.  So a careful lesson is crafted, which can be used from then on by everyone.  Students can also video their playing, send that to the teacher (private Youtube channel for example), for the teacher to study and give feedback on, or to address in the next lesson.

Do you do any of these things?

If in your joint project a teacher responding to your offer were to have other methods such as what I outlined - or if they focused on additional or different things - how would that work out?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 11:41:27 AM
Poor man.  I'm sure he thought this'd be a cinch.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 12:13:46 PM
Poor man.  I'm sure he thought this'd be a cinch.
If you mean the one I was talking about, who set things up for this purpose, I don't think he ever thought that.  There is way too much careful planning and detailed work evident.  The thing is that Skype teaching is not just in-studio teaching with a camera stuck in.  It is not a cinch - not for the teacher but also not for the student.  Simply getting the camera at a decent angle is virtually an impossibility.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 12:56:50 PM
If you mean the one I was talking about, who set things up for this purpose, I don't think he ever thought that.  There is way too much careful planning and detailed work evident.  The thing is that Skype teaching is not just in-studio teaching with a camera stuck in.  It is not a cinch - not for the teacher but also not for the student.  Simply getting the camera at a decent angle is virtually an impossibility.
No, I mean Mr musiclessonsanywhere.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 01:53:03 PM
I would sign up, but I'm not willing to teach for $22.50 an hour (US dollars.) 

Tim

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 01:58:00 PM
Sounds like a great idea. In Australia our internet speed resembles two cans connected with string, I can't wait till our speeds improve so video conferencing with higher quality becomes less painful. I think you could easily increase your prices or even have situations where teachers that help you charge fees that they think is appropriate.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 02:18:35 PM
I would sign up, but I'm not willing to teach for $22.50 an hour (US dollars.)  
I'm used to £35 (though I should be charging £45).  All he'll get is monkeys for those peanuts.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 03:51:05 PM

to the OP:   I do apologize for sounding so rude...  you are new here... I have been in this forum for 10 years.. I realize now it has made me very cynical... I automatically assume the worst.  Please try to understand though,  an honest offer such as this from an honest musician is almost unheard of here...  An honest offer from a newbie--you would be the first I have ever seen.

it's sad...but oh so true  :D   

maybe someone can turn this around by providing me an example of a business offer made on PS that wasn't misrepresented in some way.... or shady. 

so please don't take our comments personally.  :)

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 04:38:31 PM
No, I mean Mr musiclessonsanywhere.
Got it. I guess you didn't visit the sample lessons - he's a she.  :)  That's why I didn't get who you were referring to.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 04:43:50 PM
Got it. I guess you didn't visit the sample lessons - he's a she.  :)  That's why I didn't get who you were referring to.
My bad.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 09:38:00 PM

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 02:19:14 AM
My bad.

OFF TOPIC :)

although I have made every effort to accept the current vernacular... I have yet to speak this phrase in spite of the fact that it's been in common usage for more than twenty years now. (at least that's when I first heard it)...  for some reason this one just annoys the crap out of me. 

no offense intended to you Mr. HP :)

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
error
Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 06:29:07 PM
posted in the wrong place!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 07:35:48 PM
I'm used to £35 (though I should be charging £45).  All he'll get is monkeys for those peanuts.

no doubt
normally the studio owner can play that "overhead" card to justify the huge chunk he takes from the monthly fees...  this venture has no storefront.. outside of providing leads for students and then taking a chunk of their tuition forever.   What's to stop the hired teacher from simply having the student Skype her directly and not paying those fees once the link has been established.. that would be nearly impossible to regulate.  Surely she is not going to count on the "honor system" when it comes to Skype lessons.

Offline lotal

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 04:24:55 AM
In fact, the OP’s idea may work very well if you take into considerations some conditions you are not even aware of now. The internet era continues throwing in new possibilities that at first may seem impossible to old folks. The brave takes the win. For instance, I myself live in Russia where the price level for piano lessons is way too low in comparison with yours. At the same time there are natural obstacles like language and market knowledge that hinder me to enter the market by myself for students in developed countries for whom money is the issue and therefore they could gladly agree to get with some minor language inconveniences if they do not devalue lessons drastically. Naturally, in this case I more than need cooperation with a native English-speaking teacher. I had domestic freelance business of mine own in another field and I came there to various patterns of cooperation with other people of lower qualifications. For example, I read that there is a potential client but they need full time job and pay not so much as to my wishes. Still sometimes I managed to get contract from that client on my conditions. By proposing a tandem for that client, where I am one part of that tandem. The work is divided 80/20 while payment 20/80. All the three parties are happy: the client got full time coverage with adequate skill qualification at every time moment and within his budget; I got part time job with my hour price quotation; and a young less skilled beginner got full time job.

So, I would be much interested to try something of that kind with piano lessons.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: October 17, 2015, 02:46:04 PM
it's not that I am opposed to the idea of Skype lessons...  if I wanted to teach that way I would set myself up with it that's all.  More power to her if she makes it work...really--I have nothing but respect for anyone who makes a living this way.  It's not easy.

keypeg's comment concerning the angle of the camera and how difficult it is to get that right.. that was something I had never thought of.  I can't just reach over from my big comfy chair and play it for them...   after 20+ years of teaching I have my way of doing things..  I would have to figure a lot of stuff out again.

the younger generations are very accustomed to "face time"-- I am not. :)   I could get used to it I suppose.   I mean to just teach from my piano... nobody coming in and out of the house--fees are paid or lessons aren't given...not getting sick from the colds and flu bugs the kids bring in---NO RECITAL... and that's just to name a few... it is VERY tempting and there is a really big upside to it no doubt..  in fact the more I think about it the better it sounds.

but no Christmas presents either... or do they still send them?   that's one of the best percs to this job.  

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:56 PM
to the OP:   I do apologize for sounding so rude...  you are new here... I have been in this forum for 10 years.. I realize now it has made me very cynical... I automatically assume the worst.  Please try to understand though,  an honest offer such as this from an honest musician is almost unheard of here...  An honest offer from a newbie--you would be the first I have ever seen.

it's sad...but oh so true  :D   

maybe someone can turn this around by providing me an example of a business offer made on PS that wasn't misrepresented in some way.... or shady. 

so please don't take our comments personally.  :)

Quite surprised at the response and 'warm welcome' but thanks.

Not for everyone but Skype (facetime, hangout) lessons are working really well for me. I have an annual recital with live in person and online students playing from around the world, my students have taken ABRSM exams in Saudi Arabia, India, UK, US - New York and soon Florida and South Korea. Students results are excellent, one of my Skype students was asked to play at an ABRSM high scorers concert. Camera angles are never a problem, I also receive gifts through the post!

The reason why my rates are lower is that I live in small Andalusian town in Southern Spain, I didn't want to price out the locals, most teachers here charge 15 euro per hour, in the new year my lessons will be 30 euros, with my experience I can't charge less, cost of living is quite different to the UK or US, if I lived in the UK my rates would be much higher, so the job may not get many takers from countries where the COL is higher. I've worked really hard over the last few years and It's paid off. Think what you like, I Just posted on here in my quest to find a piano teacher to work with me, 60 students is my limit and the enquiries keep coming!             

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 11:55:47 PM

more power to you if you can make it work... :)  that's very impressive.  I apologize again for assuming the worst... you seem very sincere.   I hope you find someone. ;D

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 06:23:46 PM
Camera angles are never a problem, I also receive gifts through the post!
For anyone considering doing this for the first time, camera setup is an important factor which is why I mentioned it.  There is the fact of the teacher seeing the student, and also of the student seeing the teacher.

I have worked with three teachers via Skype - one of them briefly.  I've had lessons in person for a number of years on one instrument, and remotely for a few years on another.  Done carefully or intelligently there can actually be advantages so I am not at all against it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert