Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: The Administration of this Forum (@Rubinsteinmad knows what I'm talking about)  (Read 1999 times)

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Many people have complained "where is nils?" "so much for 'active moderators' on here" and have also asked "is there only ONE moderator on here?" Indeed, the one moderator here (nils) has been pretty inactive lately. He already failed once- failed to deal with the comments of Mr. "I Have Tourettes and Tourettes Totally Makes People Have Sudden Motor Tics that Totally just HAPPEN to Cause One to Spaz and Perfectly Write a Paragraph of Hate Speech"

That makes me wonder; is there something we can do this "one-moderator" absolute power system?
It's slow and ineffective.
Should we move to PianoWorld (why the divide between the two forums anyways)?
Should we launch cyberattacks on PianoStreet to grant moderator privileges to more active people?
Should one of us just host a new forum altogether?

Or am I exaggerating things?
It's just a feeling I get from my experience on nerdy gaming forums and stuff- we'd always have moderator elections and the moderators had the biggest presence on those sites. I don't feel it here...

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member

Should we move to PianoWorld (why the divide between the two forums anyways)?

No. PianoWorld is impressively boring.

Should we launch cyberattacks on PianoStreet to grant moderator privileges to more active people?

Yes, we should.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
No. PianoWorld is impressively boring.

Yes, we should.
Should we? Ok, imma start programming the thing now... (jk)

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
The kinks that occur here and there throughout forum discourse (and persist thanks to lack of moderation) are part of what makes PianoStreet the opposite of impressively boring!

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
The kinks that occur here and there throughout forum discourse (and persist thanks to lack of moderation) are part of what makes PianoStreet the opposite of impressively boring!
Yes I know what you're talking about. But at the same time it's an annoyance.

I've had mixed feelings about how people should act on forums. On the one hand, I know that I cannot dictate what other people do, how they write things, etc. (sadly...! I remember a forum I was on that slowly degenerated into posts like "dank memes 420 lel xDD." In other words, it became an intolerable messy shithole, but we have freedom of speech here in murica... If you don't like what you see, too bad!)
But on the other hand, if you find posts that are overly dark or offensive, and especially posts that no longer make you feel safe or able to trust other users, then you should definitely do something about it. COUGHthat guy who posts disturbing hate speech and then tries to cover it upCOUGH

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
On the whole though, I'm inclined to agree with you. PianoWorld is full of piano technicians, piano salesmen, and dainty MTA[insert state here] teachers. Impressively boring is an understatement.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
dainty MTA[insert state here] teachers.

(1) It's MTNA
(2) MTNA is so useless

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
(1) It's MTNA
(2) MTNA is so useless
lol yeah that would've been more concise, since MTNA- music teacher's national association
each state should have its own "Music Teachers Association of X State" though e.g. MTAC - music teacher's association of California

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Hey... I don't think it's fair to attack Nils...

I submitted a complaint about some user who had spammed the forums 3 days ago with a rant about some crap, and within 10 minutes it had been removed.

I don't think it's that bad.

Although, it would be cleansing to remove any trace of Michael_sayers from the site.    ;D

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
No. Let's just promote Harrison. Maybe he can give me some free scores once he's in.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
I really don't think it's warranted to ban He-Who's-Ailed-by-Tourette's, since everything said was in blatant jest. It's your own decision to take transgressive cracks as slander  :)

If you were here before, you'd remember that HWABT has made real contributions to the Audition Room, posting his own performances and providing input. He's really a capable musician, so ...  :-X

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member

theholygideons

I agree with the OP in regards to the recent influx of these recalcitrant 'trollers' into this forum, although it is human nature and inevitable for such types of people to exist. Perhaps nils should seek to enforce HARSHER consequences to those responsible? However, I dissent towards the use of moderators because I believe in the right to free speech of members of this forum and whom should not be silenced from having niche views. Furthermore, I strongly believe this forum must continue evolving in order to attract more quality users to this forum.

@schumaniac, the things people argue about on this forum these days baffles me - I agree with you that rubinsteinmad should be penalised. And how impudent for anyone to feign tourettes syndrome!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Compared to the other above mentioned forum this is a place of free speech and there's no-one watching out for political correctness. This is a forum aministered from Sweden and us Europeans can probably handle such an environment much better than the US people... Nils may step in sometimes if he gets enough complaints, but generally one should just ignore posts that do not reserve an answer. If you want a strongly moderated forum, you probably should spend your time on the other one.

I have to say that the level of discussion is not quite the same as it was a couple of years ago, but that's mainly due to so many experienced and knowledgeable people disappearing...

theholygideons

I have to say that the level of discussion is not quite the same as it was a couple of years ago, but that's mainly due to so many experienced and knowledgeable people disappearing...
perhaps due to natural causes must I say.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member

well said swag.. PW is sleep-inducing.. I have not been there in 10 years.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Administration of this Forum
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
I wish to modify this post a bit, and I regret that I didn't do this in "time" - I can't modify my original post:

- nope, I don't want to call out nils; he's done a great job and this is one of the best websites/"Internet centers" that pianists + students can ask for.....!

- lol that's not what I meant by including Rubinsteinmad's user :P though that brings up a point as well... of course we can't take away freedom of speech ::) but oftentimes our discussions stagnate and become incredibly redundant, sometimes silly; I, for one, am guilty of merely posting replies that say "^" or quote someone else's without adding anything (to signify agreement). But is that really necessary?
But like I said, I have mixed feelings about this; after all, conversation is a fluid thing, and it is probably natural to deviate from topics. Again, we don't need anyone to dictate how we talk or act...

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member

@schumaniac, the things people argue about on this forum these days baffles me - I agree with you that rubinsteinmad should be penalised. And how impudent for anyone to feign tourettes syndrome!

Schumaniac was referencing to you when she said you should be penalized. Ive been a helpful member, but you've been just taking advantage of the USA's noble concept of "free speech".

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Schumaniac was referencing to you when she said you should be penalized. Ive been a helpful member, but you've been just taking advantage of the USA's noble concept of "free speech".
Give it a rest, for God's sake! (and that's not solely addressed to you); by the way, in case you'd not noticed, the right to free speech, however noble, is by no means exclusive to - nor was it invented by - the United States of America.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Give it a rest, for God's sake! (and that's not solely addressed to you); by the way, in case you'd not noticed, the right to free speech, however noble, is by no means exclusive to - nor was it invented by - the United States of America.

Best,

Alistair

Yeah, I know. The reason I mentioned the US is because "theholygideons" has made claims that he was from the US (or Australia)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Yeah, I know. The reason I mentioned the US is because "theholygideons" has made claims that he was from the US (or Australia)
So what? You didn't mention Australia anyway, but in any cse your excuse does not and indeed cannot impact upon the fact that the right to free speech is enshrined in the constitutions and/or laws of many countries (though obviously not all).

That said, just as with rights go responsibilities, with the right to free speech goes the right and responsibility to know when it's best to to remain silent.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
What's wrong?  Nils usually takes care of issues right away.  I haven't seen any issues lately, but I haven't be on as often lately.

Just use the report button if a post is offensive.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
I seem to have missed something... I may just leave this thread alone so I don't add to the trouble.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
I wanted to report this to the moderator to close it... how does it not make sense stupid phpBB??

fluxBB > phpBB

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
I wanted to report this to the moderator to close it... how does it not make sense stupid phpBB??

fluxBB > phpBB
?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
The best forums are those that are the least moderated. Nils acts when he needs to and only recently removed spam very quickly.

Forums like "unsung" is almost like being in a police state, so we should be grateful for the freedom here.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
?
fluxBB and phpBB are forum platform thingamabobs
you think Nils coded this entire forum on his own?

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
I concur with Thal, Alistair and perfect_pitch, the forum administration is all right. I have only had occasion to communicate directly with Nils three or four times in thirteen years, and each time his response was speedy and efficient.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Admin is ok but he doesn't answer messages to him. We been trying to update audition room index and so far we havent heard anything back from him. Wth is up with stopping us modifying posts anyway, just because a few people went stupid and deleted their posts, I can count on one hand how many have done that. Pianostreet is getting behind the times  really hope it updates soon to something with more function, it seems we get less and less as time goes by (bring back chat rooms! Yay!!)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
That's why I said, just chopinlover01. Or AJ, AJ would be good.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Admin is ok but he doesn't answer messages to him. We been trying to update audition room index and so far we havent heard anything back from him. Wth is up with stopping us modifying posts anyway, just because a few people went stupid and deleted their posts, I can count on one hand how many have done that. Pianostreet is getting behind the times  really hope it updates soon to something with more function, it seems we get less and less as time goes by (bring back chat rooms! Yay!!)

well said.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Lol out of complete boredom, I figured out how to host my own forum (using some free web-hosting server which may or may not be sketchy): no, really
There's nothing on there right now though, but like the colors a lot better :P :P

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Lol out of complete boredom, I figured out how to host my own forum (using some free web-hosting server which may or may not be sketchy): no, really
There's nothing on there right now though, but like the colors a lot better :P :P

It's more fantastic tan Schumann's Op. 12  :D

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
That's why I said, just chopinlover01. Or AJ, AJ would be good.
Neither would be a good choice, imo, they're not level headed enough.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member

Well your troll account wouldn't be fitting, either...

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Well your troll account wouldn't be fitting, either...
If you're talking about the account with tourettes, that's not my troll account, or one that I own at all actually

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
AJ, not level headed enough?
Also, @Noah, I don't think many people knew who you were talking about when you used my first name ;)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
AJ, not level headed enough?
Also, @Noah, I don't think many people knew who you were talking about when you used my first name ;)

Oh, oops! Sorry about that, I forgot. Everybody uses my first name on here, so I forget that other people don't use theirs, my bad chopinlover! I still think you would be a good moderator, even if we have some differences. :) And swagmaster, dare I risk saying that AJ is one of if not the most level headed person on this forum?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert