Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Blue Note Pianist's improvisations  (Read 2316 times)

Offline pianoman1233

Blue Note Pianist's improvisations
on: November 02, 2015, 11:41:04 PM
For some reason the last thread was locked. I really don't know why. I think it's better that all the conversation is in one thread so maybe the conversation can continue here. I'm also going to post all new improvisations in here. I don't think it's necessary to make a new thread for each one of those.

I'm sorry about the provoking I did at first, but it was needed to get conversation here. Actually, the first time I made a thread on this forum was around six months ago and I didn't get any answer.

If someone thinks I was provoking when I told I'm a musical genius, I wasn't. This may seem maybe too proud for some of you, but telling the truth isn't that. If someone doesn't know what it means to being a genius, he can read about it on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of new advances in a domain of knowledge.

For me it really doesn't matter whether you think I'm genius or not, my future is not depending of that factor. You can think I'm just an ordinary guy, but these improvisations and the pace I do them is really something exceptional.

I'm very sorry if someone is displeased for some reason, but I really think this thread need to be here. If someone is not interested in this, he can not read this or listen the improvisations.

Here are around 85.000 members and you are the only audience which knows something about piano music and there aren't many other place to post this music. The whole thing is just at the beginning so not much can be said yet. I've got a lot of unused potential...

Again, humble apologies, and hopefully this one little thread can stay here.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Blue Note Pianist's improvisations
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 01:49:53 AM
You forgot the rest of the definition of "genius".

A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of new advances in a domain of knowledge.

And then you follow up with,

Again, humble apologies, and hopefully this one little thread can stay here.

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:04:12 AM

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:10:13 AM
Interesting. You're growing ever so slightly. Different texture, interesting.
But by no means the "Creative Genius" you cut yourself out to be. Have some humility for Christ's sake.

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 02:17:30 AM
This may seem maybe too proud for some of you

For me it really doesn't matter whether you think I'm genius or not

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 02:31:50 AM

I think this one is really cool! You should post in main audition room and see comments. With a more palatable verbal presentation of it, though.

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:42:54 AM

Albert Einstein:  "once we accept our limits, we go beyond them."

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 02:44:14 AM
I thought Einstein was good at math

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 02:48:24 AM
I think this one is really cool! You should post in main audition room and see comments. With a more palatable verbal presentation of it, though.

Thanks! Unfortunately I've got almost nothing to say about it... These improvisations just come through me. Some day even ten improvisations and none on the other. I record pretty much but I upload only the best. Only that I can remember about this one is that I was pretty hungry while playing it...

It's nice to get good comments, but I can't affect on how I do improvisations in the future... So there's not that much point in it... Everything depends on my mood and the mental state, and based on that I can say there's a lot of coming even better pieces!

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 02:54:25 AM

There's a lot of good quotes from Albert Einstein. I like him a lot, even though he didn't know everything and did some assumptions.

What I personally think (and feel) is that the only thing that sets the limits for you is your mind. Of course this isn't so clear.

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 02:55:45 AM

Offline tenk

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 03:07:34 AM
Still boring, still goes nowhere, still mashing the same notes/chords over and over for 3+ minutes. At least you mixed up the dynamics a bit? I guess that's a plus...

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 03:16:43 AM
Still boring, still goes nowhere, still mashing the same notes/chords over and over for 3+ minutes. At least you mixed up the dynamics a bit? I guess that's a plus...

Yeah, in that improvisation not too much melody but pretty rhythmic. I think people may get used to improvisations of this style better when they listen to these more.

Hard to say, maybe some people will never like. When I listened Chopin's waltzes in the summer, they all sounded similar at first. But after listening enough, I began to hear the differences...

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 03:49:55 AM
I hear the rhythm you are talking about; it's quite interesting and varied. I guess, maybe - *squints eyes and contorts face* ehhhhhhhh... by a stretch of the imagination... you can be called a genius in the most general sense of the word, the definition that you provided- doing something that not many other people have done... But it's NOT completely original or ground breaking, nor is it "oh my god this guy is the next Mozart he will be remembered for the next 230598473098317 years for his contributions" type sense.

This one is much more interesting in that it seems to be inspired by mood; there is some sort of emotional tension and natural ebb/flow to the rhythm. Your improvisation sounds relatively more "inspired" by something, not formulaic. This seemed to be lacking in your other improvisations. And it makes the simple "i-IV-i" progression forgivable. So, at least, I respect your music and I concede that it takes a lot of confidence and good technique to do what you're doing.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 03:50:33 AM
Look- at least I still bother to listen to your improvs ;D

And if you really did that whole Best Pianist stunt just to get some replies, well, you've succeeded; now you can stop. :)

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 04:30:29 PM

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:02 PM
So, at least, I respect your music and I concede that it takes a lot of confidence and good technique to do what you're doing.

Thanks.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 05:04:32 PM

PEACE OFFERING :)

someone you might want to listen to... don't worry its not me...lol..   He is using a similar chord progression to yours... I think you will enjoy this. :) btw.. #6 is nice..

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 05:40:34 PM
PEACE OFFERING :)

someone you might want to listen to... don't worry its not me...lol..   He is using a similar chord progression to yours... I think you will enjoy this. :) btw.. #6 is nice..

Thanks. I've listened to him a couple of years ago and he do very well and I like a lot. Actually I think he was one of the players from youtube who inspired me, but couldn't improvise at the time... The other one was kylelandry.

Though the "problem" here is that the world is full of that kind of music... :)

I promise one day Luca will beg me to teach him. 8) It doesn't take much time.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 05:57:19 PM
I agree... Luca will surely ask you for lessons one day.   2:49 of repeating Eb min Ab min and Bb (7)  is brilliant...but might I suggest you try to add Gb7 in as you ascend... it will work nicely...  you can also sub the V chord for E7 +9--and use it as a leading tone back to tonic which will give you a turn around and make room for another section.

you can also make a bridge for your tune from the iv-V7-- or you can sub the iv chord with the II7 for a stronger cadence.   Also have you ever tried the modes..? both  Ab Dorian and  Bb Phrygian sound sweet over that particular progression you are using.  Of course, you could take it a step further and explore the harmonic minor modes... they will give your piece a little darker texture.

just food for thought... there are endless possibilities.  I feel silly even mentioning these as I am sure you are already aware of all of this.. :)

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:42 PM
my friend... do you realize that you use the same progression of the minor tonic to the sub-dominant minor and then to the Dom7 in nearly every improvisation--all you change is the key?   You should really try adding a sub chord  and changing the rhythm because most of your tunes sound exactly the same especially since you use the same hexatonic blues scale for all of them...

I apologize for stating the obvious.

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 06:53:29 PM
OOOPS! I MADE A MISTAKE WHEN I ANSWERED... SHE STARTED AGAIN!

just food for thought... there are endless possibilities.  I feel silly even mentioning these as I am sure you are already aware of all of this.. :)

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 06:57:52 PM
If I end up to play new age songs by learning music theory I will never do that... :o

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:45 PM

you  use the same progression every time...  just changing the key.  same scale.. same improv same bass line  and no form... where's the improvisation...? 

I do apologize... I shant bother you again... 

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 07:13:30 PM

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 09:18:19 PM

Kyle Landry, huh? I've known Kyle for 8 years.. since the early days of YT when he played all that gamer music stuff.   we were both featured YT artists back then...  haven't talked to him for a couple of months... but maybe I will drop him a line and make him laugh... cause dude you are hilarious.   I almost bought it..  really I did...  but nobody is that arrogant..  or that argumentative.. 

have a nice day..  ;D

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 05:13:25 AM
I shant bother you again... 

Two hours later.

cause dude you are hilarious.

I don't know him but I'm pretty sure he's not that kind of person who'd have fun at the expense of others. Or maybe... Actually it would be nice if he listened to my improvs.

but maybe I will drop him a line and make him laugh...

That's hilarious.

but nobody is that arrogant..  or that argumentative.. 

Being argumentative is only a positive thing as long as the others are wrong. It's nice to teach people.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 06:15:42 AM
Quote from: pianoman1233 link=topic=59942.msg644390#msg644390 date=1446873205
 Actually it would be nice if he listened to my improvs.

[/quote

you silly little boy... you should have been nicer to me. :)

now... I am all done with you and your arrogant nature. 

bye. :)

Offline tenk

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 10:45:22 PM
Are you French? It's the only explanation...

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 06:39:07 AM
I'm an artist, that's the explanation. I made videos private and continue with my music by myself since no one doesn't respect.

I've got dozens of new improvisations in my computer and hundreds of thousands in my head. I can hear my own symphonies in my head, I can hear new electronic music in my head...

I'll be back. But next time I'll upload something that everyone is interested in, not only the piano community.

When you see an anonymous person picking up Grammy Awards you know it's me. It doesn't take many years.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:58 AM
Why do some people act like learning musical theory "kills talent?" It doesn't...

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 09:35:54 AM
I'm an artist, that's the explanation. I made videos private and continue with my music by myself since no one doesn't respect.

I've got dozens of new improvisations in my computer and hundreds of thousands in my head. I can hear my own symphonies in my head, I can hear new electronic music in my head...

I'll be back. But next time I'll upload something that everyone is interested in, not only the piano community.

When you see an anonymous person picking up Grammy Awards you know it's me. It doesn't take many years.

Delusional beyond belief with this attitude. Hilarious comments.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 09:36:51 AM
Why do some people act like learning musical theory "kills talent?" It doesn't...

Something we agree on. Equally, the suggestions that technical exercises or studies creates "robotic pianists".

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 10:00:31 AM
Something we agree on. Equally, the suggestions that technical exercises or studies creates "robotic pianists".

Which they often do when used without a teacher and just banging with a metronome aiming for speed  ;)

Offline tenk

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 05:18:57 PM
Which they often do when used without a teacher and just banging with a metronome aiming for speed  ;)

Oh Outin! *shakes fist at screen*

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 05:29:56 PM
Oh Outin! *shakes fist at screen*

Not always of course...am I forgiven?  :-*

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 05:32:41 PM
Not always of course...am I forgiven?  :-*

*lowers fist*

I do agree, but also do we play Bach like we play Chopin?

Studies and scales are not supposed to be mindless, but one could argue the end results is even playing and can be accomplished by repeating with a metronome. No emotion required for these, if we wanted we could throw some dynamics in there to keep the brain engaged.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:10 PM
I honestly think Pianoman is just messing with you all, and even if he isn't, just *** ignore him. Dedicate all your precious time to people who actually intend on improving their craft.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 05:59:17 PM
*lowers fist*

I do agree, but also do we play Bach like we play Chopin?

Studies and scales are not supposed to be mindless, but one could argue the end results is even playing and can be accomplished by repeating with a metronome. No emotion required for these, if we wanted we could throw some dynamics in there to keep the brain engaged.

I personally prefer to play a real thing that exercises my fingers instead of a finger exercise. And I firmly believe it's possible to accomplish even playing without repeating finger exercises with a metronome. But if it works for some people why not...my head would explode from something like that...

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 06:32:56 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions
I honestly think Pianoman is just messing with you all, and even if he isn't, just *** ignore him. Dedicate all your precious time to people who actually intend on improving their craft.

You can't get into my head! Of course delusion is the most likely option for a random guy. But still you shouldn't judge. Of course it's nice to judge and believe what you want to believe. That's how all people act. At least the most. 99,9%.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 02:31:20 AM
We aren't judging based off of some crazy, tin foil hat preconceived notion in our heads about blues artists.
We're judging you because we've seen thousands of people like you come here, assert your/their greatness, and then when they get the slightest criticism they whine about being persecuted for their genius, and then re-assert their genius.

Offline pianoman1233

Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 08:35:01 AM
That's what I just told, judging based on probabilities.

Quote from: Jesus
Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: November 13, 2015, 10:21:01 AM
We aren't judging based off of some crazy, tin foil hat preconceived notion in our heads about blues artists.
We're judging you because we've seen thousands of people like you come here, assert your/their greatness, and then when they get the slightest criticism they whine about being persecuted for their genius, and then re-assert their genius.

Well said.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert