7 (9.3%)
Rafal Blechacz
9 (12%)
Yulianna Avdeeva
2 (2.7%)
Seong-jin Cho
7 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite Chopin Competition Winners  (Read 4042 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Favorite Chopin Competition Winners
on: November 21, 2015, 01:38:31 AM
VOTE FOR AT LEAST 3 PEOPLE.
AND DONT JUST VOTE FOR 2 PEOPLE. VOTE FOR AT LEAST 3, BECAUSE OTHERWISE IT WOULD BE UNFAIR.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite Chopin Competition Winners
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:25 AM
Well somebody apparently voted for 2 people: whoever it was voted for Pollini and Zimerman. Who could that be?

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:49:36 AM
I voted for Blechacz, Pollini, and Zimerman.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:47:43 PM
Zimerman is in the lead.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:48:18 PM
Zimerman is tied with Pollini..

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:50:03 PM
I voted for Argerich, Zimerman, Dang Thai Son, Blechacz, and Seong-jin Cho.

I couldnt decide between Argerich or Avdeeva, but eventually I chose Argerich.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Actually, I prefer Avdeeva over Blechacz now, but I CANT CHANGE MY VOTE  :'(

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 11:08:56 PM
I prefer Avdeeva over Blechacz now

I will hack your head off, then drown it, then strangle it, then burn it, then I will dice the rest of your body, then I will have your brain dunked in gasoline then thrown into a furnace.

Sorry, kids.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 01:56:57 AM
I will hack your head off, then drown it, then strangle it, then burn it, then I will dice the rest of your body, then I will have your brain dunked in gasoline then thrown into a furnace.

Sorry, kids.

Except my other accounts will still have their heads, so I wont be dead

Offline preludetr

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:10 PM
Half of these I've never even heard of. Just goes to show how helpful winning a major international competition is for your career...

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:48:16 PM
Half of these I've never even heard of. Just goes to show how helpful winning a major international competition is for your career...

If anything your lack of knowledge is to blame for, not their success. These are world-class renown concert pianists. The fact that you don't recognize them says a lot about you, not them. Just a clarification.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:25:22 AM

Actually it just goes to show how ignorant people still manage to be, even with so much information readily available in the internet  ::)

Or maybe a pianist's fame today correlates with the amount of recordings (illegally) available on YT.

Offline preludetr

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 04:48:53 AM
Actually it just goes to show how ignorant people still manage to be, even with so much information readily available in the internet  ::)

Or maybe a pianist's fame today correlates with the amount of recordings (illegally) available on YT.

Hold it right there. If you criticize the perusal of the recordings available on YT, and you claim that one is ignorant not to know of certain pianists who are lesser known than dozens of other pianists, I take that to mean that you personally own physical copies, or at least purchased recordings, of dozens of pianists. That it something that I, and probably most people on this forum, could not afford. Owning an extensive musical library is a great thing, to be sure, but it is not fair to hold others, especially young people like myself, to such a standard.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 05:06:39 AM
Hold it right there. If you criticize the perusal of the recordings available on YT, and you claim that one is ignorant not to know of certain pianists who are lesser known than dozens of other pianists, I take that to mean that you personally own physical copies, or at least purchased recordings, of dozens of pianists. That it something that I, and probably most people on this forum, could not afford. Owning an extensive musical library is a great thing, to be sure, but it is not fair to hold others, especially young people like myself, to such a standard.

Indeed I do own a lot of legal music. But I am not critizising people for using the free option because I am well aware that many could not afford to have a kind of library that I have. But before claiming that pianists haven't made a "career" because you have not heard them, I would expect you to have some quite extensive knowledge. There aren't that many pianists on that list that could be called "lesser known". Unless of course compared the LangLang... :P

I want to add that I am not critizising you personally. I just find it sad how at the same time as the availability of information has exploded, the historical and global blindness of the younger generations is just getting worse. When I was young there was no Google or even internet. If I wanted to know what was going on in any field or go back to see how it had developed, I had to get my hands on books, magazines and records that were usually not available in my own language or even my country. Now I can just click my mouse and it's all there...

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 05:25:49 AM
Lol classical records aren't even expensive. I waste less than 10 dollars when I go out to buy several Vinyl records.

I bought an interesting used LP for 3dollars the other day. Maculsynski and the Warsaw Orchestra playing Rachmaninoff. Priceless music, for 3 bucks.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 05:33:44 AM
Lol classical records aren't even expensive. I waste less than 10 dollars when I go out to buy several Vinyl records.

I bought an interesting used LP for 3dollars the other day. Maculsynski and the Warsaw Orchestra playing Rachmaninoff. Priceless music, for 3 bucks.

You still own a record player? And it works? :o

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 08:57:36 PM

In 2027, his recordings will be free to put on YT legally (but not in the US or Mexico :P)!

Offline trifonov

Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 10:40:44 PM
Right now, Pollini and Zimerman have the most votes by far.

(Not much surprise for me)

Offline iamazombie911

Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 06:21:01 AM
Really? I woulda thought Martha Argerich would have had more votes

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 11:53:04 PM
I voted for one > CHO
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 04:47:22 AM
Right now, Pollini and Zimerman have the most votes by far.

(Not much surprise for me)

Glad to have you on the forum, Daniil.  ;)

Best,

AJ

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 04:53:09 AM
Glad to have you on the forum, Daniil.  ;)

LLLLLOOOLLLLLLL
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert