Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Markup for factory restored yamaha pianos?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline boomai

Markup for factory restored yamaha pianos?
on: December 22, 2015, 05:57:33 PM
We've been looking for a piano for our kids (the teacher said our old spinet piano was no longer appropriate for their level).  We checked out a few restored Yamaha U1 and U2, and they look like good pianos for the money ($4000 - $6000 asking price depending on the year built).  Our question is if anybody knows the markup for these pianos?  For example, the concensus is a new piano at a dealership is usually markup 25%-30%.  Should we expect the same from a rebuilt one from a small dealer?  Or should we pay the asking price?

Offline lhorwinkle

Re: Markup for factory restored yamaha pianos?
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:40 PM
Never pay the asking price. NEVER.
Instead, make a low offer. Be very disappointed if the dealer accepts your offer. Instead, expect him to balk. They almost always do.

But first ...
I'd avoid any piano over 15 years old.
And I'd have it examined by an independent piano technician.
All of that BEFORE making any offer.

Offline boomai

Re: Markup for factory restored yamaha pianos?
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56:17 PM
A "manufacture rebuilt" Yamaha U3 at those prices would be around 20-30 years old.  Have you seen these rebuilts?  They seem to be popular in my neck of the wood.  Unless you check the serial number or know about the changes in the designs of the model, you would have a hard time telling it from a new piano.  The guy selling the pianos is a technician and, at least on paper, the "manufacture" (whoever they are) provides a 5 years warranty.  The seller has an A+ rating on BBB and he has done this for many years, so my guess is not that many if any of the pianos he sold have fell apart.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert