Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Late Schumann (Asylum period)  (Read 2466 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Late Schumann (Asylum period)
on: December 30, 2015, 09:43:58 AM
So I was on YT, and the Brahms Op. 9 Schumann variation came up. The source material was surprisingly beautiful for Schumann, and so I went to check out the original theme (Opus 99 number four).
Where has this side of Schumann been hiding from me?!?! It's simply too good compared to the other Schumann I've heard.
Can someone recommend me some wood pieces to this, of the late Schumann. I'm assuming it's late, because mental asylum's tend to change one's psyche, and Schumann's music is changed drastically from what I've heard to this, even as late of the a minor concerto.

Offline apmapmapm

• PS Silver Member
Re: Late Schumann (Asylum period)
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:41 AM
I wouldn't say Schumann's Bunte Blätter are from his 'late' period as he started them around the mid-1830's, though it did take him a while to complete them. The situation with having checked himself into an asylum is not relevant as he was unproductive for the last 2 years of his life.
Having said that, I have found Schumann to be very original, I would say uniquely romantic and sophisticated in even early works like those in Kreisleriana. Given his vast output for piano I would suggest starting anywhere and trying everything to see what you like most - I personally enjoy the Fantasy in C and the Kinderszenen which are masterpieces.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:16:29 PM
Many thanks; I've listened to both works in the past but I'll give it another go.
Just so we're on the same page (and this is to everyone who might make suggestions), this is the piece I'm referring to;

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:40:52 AM
Does nothing from Op. 12 appeal to you?

Offline chrisbutch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:55:55 PM
Individual reactions, both to specific works and to the whole output, seem to vary more widely with Schumann than with almost any other composer. For me, for what it's worth, the Humoreske has always been the most rewarding, since there are more layers of meaning, more scope for different interpretative approaches coupled with Schumann's imagination at its least flagging, than in any of the other works. But nobody who can't feel in it the constant  irony, self-commentary and occasional self-parody will ever 'get' the piece.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 10:45:28 PM
OK, so i have just wasted 35 minutes of my life enduring this Op.99, which has about 3 minutes of interest.

Can someone please explain to me how this banal dross can be called romantic?

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:39:55 PM
Thal, it was just this piece in particular that I was enjoying (the one featured in the Brahms variations).
Just so we're on the same page (and this is to everyone who might make suggestions), this is the piece I'm referring to;

Personally I find the piece to be very romantic, along the lines of Chopin and Rachmaninoff and the like.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:57 PM
I like Bach. :D

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 07:47:43 AM
Question: Can someone recommend me some wood pieces to this, of the late Schumann. I'm assuming it's late, because mental asylum's tend to change one's psyche, and Schumann's music is changed drastically from what I've heard to this.

On 2/24/1854, 3 days before Schumann threw himself in the Rhine, Schumann offered his publisher Gesange der Fruhe op. 133 (5 characteristic pieces for piano) that he wrote between 10/15/1853 and 10/18/1853.  Brahms arrived 9/30/1853 at Schumann's house for his famous meeting and extended visit with the Schumanns.  Schumann entered the asylum shortly after his suicide attempt.  These 5 piano pieces are among my favorites.  I don't think Schumann wrote anything after he entered the asylum.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert