Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: András Schiff and Natural Breathing  (Read 2159 times)

Offline keyquest

• PS Silver Member
András Schiff and Natural Breathing
on: January 01, 2016, 10:37:52 AM
NEW today, and perhaps the most important post published so far on the Pianodao site... This piece deals with piano technique, breathing and injury prevention:

https://pianodao.com/2016/01/01/andras-schiff-and-thoughts-on-breathing/

I look forward to your feedback and comments...

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: András Schiff and Natural Breathing
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:15:26 AM
Sometimes if you sing the music under your breath while playing it can help your playing/breathing sync musically. Not everyone really finds this useful, I find it occasionally helpful to maintain concentration in performance situations and to get "into" the music. It is not a huge thing unless you already have total control over your music then it can help some.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline louispodesta

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:21:39 AM
NEW today, and perhaps the most important post published so far on the Pianodao site... This piece deals with piano technique, breathing and injury prevention:

https://pianodao.com/2016/01/01/andras-schiff-and-thoughts-on-breathing/

I look forward to your feedback and comments...
As I have stated before, this post is a fraud and nothing more than a veiled attempt by a concert pianist to simplistically promote his career and that of others.  For those who disagree, please contact me by PM.

With my health problems, I simply do not have the hours in my day to respond to non-serious opinions regarding the subject of "Breath," which for the record is an essential and very important part of daily life (much less performance in regards the piano).

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:00 AM

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:56:23 AM

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:17:14 PM
I would rather stop breathing completely than play Chopin like Schiff.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:07:34 PM
Well, it's not actually about András Schiff - his name is highlighted in the beginning of the article and there is a quote by him and then the writer goes on to other things.  I stopped reading after the part about singers breathing into the belly because that is only half the mechanism, and it's that kind of thing which created tension for me at some time.  Above all, if someone is going to learn breathing techniques, it should not be by writing a few short sentences and then trying what he understands (and what the writer might understand).

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:42:24 PM
Yes, Thal, I must admit, though i am a fan of Mr Schiff, I certainly don't get what he is doing with Chopin.  From what i've heard, (as much as i could take) I don't hear any musicality going on..
4'33"
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert