Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Do I belong here?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Do I belong here?
on: December 25, 2004, 06:40:20 PM
Greetings, All,

I found out about this forum from a post on another forum. 

I don't think that I meet any of the criteria set by the moderator and so this will probably be up about five minutes :(

I am certainly not a professional pianist.  Middle aged adult beginner is more like it.  I don't have the correct university affiliation, either.  I teach post-docs but in a field afar from music.

Oh, well, for at least as long as this thing stays up:   I bought a piano a couple of years ago for my husband, not knowing that I would end up taking lessons.  I have one husband, one kid and two brilliant Tonkinese cats.  I live in New York City in an apartment that defies cleaning.  I am a compulsive reader.

I play piano because it makes me happy.  I have no real goals such as where I want to be in terms of my repertoire this time next year. 

I haven't visited the other forum much lately because in the wake of a personal loss I didn't feel I could stand to witness people tearing each other apart.  That didn't happen all of the time over there, and never once to me, but it was getting to me.  I have realized that I like discussion a lot more than I like debate. 

Ok, enough about me.  I'd like to learn more about the people who post here.

All of the best, Lucy in the Sky

Offline Ed Thomas

• PS Silver Member
Re: Do I belong here?
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 07:09:14 PM
Lucy:  It sounds like you clearly qualify under the "student" category.   :)  Don't we all?

Welcome.  I certainly do understand what you mean about the destructiveness in forums.   I hope that it continues to be kept to a minimum here.  Music, and the love of piano playing, should be shared.   There sure is a lot to learn here.   I've been here about 9 months... and have gained years and years of insight and understanding.  I hope you feel the same way.  Merry Christmas.

Offline Floristan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 07:59:04 PM
Anyone with a serious interest in piano studies belongs here.  Like Ed, I've learned so much in a very short time at this forum -- very detailed information about pedagogy, performance, repertoire, etc.  You don't need to know a lot about these topics to belong, just the desire to know more.  This is a "serious" piano forum in that its members are classical (and some jazz) pianists who want to share their experience about their passion for the piano.  People who have only a casual interest in the piano don't tend to hang around because they find PF boring.  If you find it very interesting as opposed to boring, then you probably belong!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 09:15:56 PM
Greetings, All,

I found out about this forum from a post on another forum. 

I don't think that I meet any of the criteria set by the moderator and so this will probably be up about five minutes :(

I am certainly not a professional pianist.  Middle aged adult beginner is more like it.  I don't have the correct university affiliation, either.  I teach post-docs but in a field afar from music.

Greetings to you lucy in the sky (with diamonds  ;))!  You are most welcome here!  There are a number of adult beginners here, and probably even more that only lurk around and never post.  It takes courage, so congratulations on that!  What field do you teach in?

Oh, well, for at least as long as this thing stays up:   I bought a piano a couple of years ago for my husband, not knowing that I would end up taking lessons.  I have one husband, one kid and two brilliant Tonkinese cats.  I live in New York City in an apartment that defies cleaning.  I am a compulsive reader.

Perhaps the piano was secretly meant for you.  It is so great that you are taking lessons, what gave you the impulse to begin?  (My living space also seems to defy cleaning  :().  As a compulsive reader, you are at a great advantage here because there are many, many helpful threads and posts here to read.  Perhaps you would enjoy this one (if you have not already read)?

https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,1759.msg13695.html#msg13695
(your practice drive)

I play piano because it makes me happy.  I have no real goals such as where I want to be in terms of my repertoire this time next year. 

Perhaps you would like to set some goals? 

I haven't visited the other forum much lately because in the wake of a personal loss I didn't feel I could stand to witness people tearing each other apart.  That didn't happen all of the time over there, and never once to me, but it was getting to me.  I have realized that I like discussion a lot more than I like debate. 

Yes, this forum seems to maintain a very civil and positive tone.  Very conducive to learning. 

I'd like to learn more about the people who post here.

You will learn a lot about the people who post here through reading their posts   ;).  Happy reading and happy practicing!

All the best,
m1469 Fox
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline chickering9

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 09:34:26 PM
Lucy,

I hope you will stick around here.  I was happy to hear your voice in another room this morning and hoped you'd find your way over here.  Now that you have, please do stay.  I know that with your very busy life we may not hear from you often, but it would be nice to know that we might have the unexpected pleasure once in a while. :)

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 12:55:58 AM
Wow!  One of my favorite people, ChickGrand(pa) and some new names as well.  ChickGrand--is the grandpa part new?  If so, congratulations!  You sent me the most tender message after my mom died.  I printed it and saved it.  I couldn't figure out how to get back in touch with you to thank you; thus, a belated but very heartfelt thank you!   

m1469 and others, thank you for your welcomes and suggestions.   m1469, I am enjoying the Zen of Piano Practice  ;).  It's unusual for me not to have some deadline to meet or some catastrophe on my hands.  And so I am letting my studies take me wherever they lead me and at whatever pace.  I started taking lessons with my daughter's teacher and he understands this completely.  Still, I hope that I will be able to play pieces that are currently far from my reach . . . someday.

The happiest of holidays to all, Lucy 

Offline teachum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 01:04:43 AM
I wondered about the "standards" to post here too, Lucy.  I am not affiliated with a university or school, but am certainly a student of music. No one's told me to go away yet.  I also am a teacher - elementary school.   Music was always my biggest love when I was in school.  I remember when your mother died  because your story made me bittersweet sad/happy.  My mom died 4 years ago and we always struggled with our relationship.  Nice to see you. 

Merry CHristmas!
You will be 10 years older, 10 years from now ,no matter what.... so go for it!

Offline Egon von Sprocket

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 01:46:49 AM
ChickGrand--is the grandpa part new?  If so, congratulations! 

That is a bit confusing--Chick, you don't seem much like a "grandpa" to me.  Maybe you've moved to Pennsylvania!   ;D
"Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else's favorite song...."

Offline chickering9

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 02:05:10 AM
Wow!  One of my favorite people, ChickGrand(pa) and some new names as well.  ChickGrand--is the grandpa part new?  If so, congratulations! 

OH, Heavens No!  But thank you all the same.  It's just that after I read a fair percentage of profiles and ages, I felt compelled.  :-X  :-\ ::) ???

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 03:39:45 PM
I have realized that I like discussion a lot more than I like debate. 

Me too. :)

Offline annabell

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 07:02:18 PM
I don't know if I belong here.  I miss the people from the other room who have asked me not to come.  They were my friends I thought.

Such is life, I guess

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 07:42:47 PM
I don't know if I belong here.  I miss the people from the other room who have asked me not to come.  They were my friends I thought.

Such is life, I guess

Dearest Anabell: your "friends" are blips on a screen.  To be used, manipulated, squeezed and chortled, to your whims desire.

Think nothing more of them.

Egon

Offline teachum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 08:04:33 PM
Annabell - True friends are very hard to find. I think as adults if we can count the really true, life-long ones on one hand, we are extremely fortunate.  Life doesn't seem to lend itself to life-long friends anymore.     Sad, but seemingly true.  It would certainly be rare to find a real one on the internet.  We are.....never mind - too many corny cliches coming to mind ::)
You will be 10 years older, 10 years from now ,no matter what.... so go for it!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 08:47:48 PM
It would certainly be rare to find a real one on the internet. 

I doubt any of us ever will.   :(  :-*

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 02:20:27 AM
Lucy:

I seem to remember you were on the other forum when I started there, and that was over three years ago. As I recall, your posts were always pretty interesting. I still post everywhere and just ignore all the nonsense that goes on. The trick is, as you implicitly say, to go for a search for truth rather than a debate. Certain posters on both forums are first class musicians in their own way - they soon stand out - these are the ones I am interested in, and by and large they are also the ones who avoid abusive debate.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Jack Appleseed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 02:29:28 AM
Doesn't that just about sum up Tom to a tee.?

jf

Dearest Anabell: your "friends" are blips on a screen.  To be used, manipulated, squeezed and chortled, to your whims desire.

Egon

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 05:10:36 AM
Tom . . . Tom . . . WHICH Tom, Johnnie Frost-Appleseed, Jack in the Beanstalk or whoever you are?  What am I missing?  I thought I had come to Switzerland.  Oh, do I have my bearings off again?  I always HAVE been something of a space cadet (or so they say).  Then again, maybe its just the Mouton Cadet that I have been drinking or the cute little delusional cadets up the river at Westpoint 8) :P ;) ;D.  He-he-he :D.

Cheers, Lucy

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 06:30:53 AM
Hi Lucy,

I've been postng here for a long time.
You are most welcome here.

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 06:45:44 AM
Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you!!! :D

Lucy

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2004, 07:11:40 AM

Egon

Actually there is always an actual human being behind all of those "blips on the screen," so they are not at your or anyone else's whim.

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Jack Appleseed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2004, 10:53:52 PM
Tom . . . Tom . . . WHICH Tom, Johnnie Frost-Appleseed, Jack in the Beanstalk or whoever you are?  What am I missing?  I thought I had come to Switzerland.  Oh, do I have my bearings off again?  I always HAVE been something of a space cadet (or so they say).  Then again, maybe its just the Mouton Cadet that I have been drinking or the cute little delusional cadets up the river at Westpoint 8) :P ;) ;D.  He-he-he :D.

Cheers, Lucy

Lucy,

Jack is Jack and Egon is Tom.

I am NOT Tom.

ja

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2004, 11:50:19 PM
Whew!  Thank you for clarifying this for me!

Lucy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2004, 11:54:04 PM
Obviously, Jack and I are different people, but we are similar in LOTS of ways. ;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 11:57:11 PM
But anyway--we're all different people her than we are in "The Other Place."  All kinder and gentler and squishishy and nice. ;)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: December 28, 2004, 12:01:44 AM

Lucy,

Jack is Jack and Egon is Tom.

I am NOT Tom.

ja

Reminds me of the time I used to say I am NOT Improv.  That that you believed me.  :(

At least Luct is a reasonable human being.  Unlike others..... :D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2004, 12:02:36 AM

Reminds me of the time I used to say I am NOT Improv.  You didn't believed me.  :(

At least Lucy is a reasonable human being.  Unlike others you and another..... :D

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2004, 01:11:53 AM
Egon,

I thought that YOU were Improv???  Must have been my evil twin 8)!

Lucy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: December 28, 2004, 01:20:51 AM
Egon,

I thought that YOU were Improv???  Must have been my evil twin 8)!

Lucy

LIES, I TELL YOU, ALL LIES!   ;D

Oh no, not me
The secret of Improv was a mystery
Oh no, not me
But me and him together you will never see.

Oh no, not me
He's a funny guy as there will ever be
Oh no, not me
I cannot be him and he's not me

Oh  no, not me
The story of Improv is just history
Oh no, not me
He and I together you will NEVER see! :D

Offline Jack Appleseed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: December 28, 2004, 02:09:14 AM
So, Lucy, welcome!

ja

frost appleseed beanstalk....whatever

Offline annabell

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: December 28, 2004, 02:53:56 AM
I like the way you bestow welcomes Mr. APPLE - steal my name - seed. ;D

Offline Jack Appleseed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: December 28, 2004, 03:42:38 AM
I like the way you bestow welcomes Mr. APPLE - steal my name - seed. ;D

I thought you were probably Apple...not steal.  My name is a variation on my name and a tribute to you, my FRIEND.

Welcome, Annabelle

jf

Offline annabell

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: December 28, 2004, 03:46:47 AM
you always sow seeds of friendship    :-*  (now that's a real nice kissing smiley)

Offline lucy in the sky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: December 28, 2004, 07:37:35 AM
Dear Egon, Jack and Annabell,

MY EVIL TWIN not Egon's!  Now whether Egan has one is another story ;).

Lucy

Offline phykell

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: December 28, 2004, 09:49:30 AM
Hi Lucy, nice to see another friendly face over here (well not "see", but you know what I mean). Hope the cats are well :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert