Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Improvised Fugue - Autumn leaves  (Read 1958 times)

Offline bjornr

• PS Silver Member
Improvised Fugue - Autumn leaves
on: January 04, 2016, 10:58:23 PM
I love these melodies, and they work nicely fugally.

Thanks for any feedback

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvised Fugue - Autumn leaves
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:20:40 AM
I like these contrapuntal improvisations of yours very much. In general, there is something very attractive about several ideas proceeding at once, and with improvisation they can do so without the constraint of notational rhythm. All that old stuff was created with a view to writing it out, notation was the end goal and dominated the whole process, possibly because no means then existed to permanently capture asynchronous music having rhythms outside notation. Now that we have superb digital recording devices, easy to use, cheap and available to all, our spontaneous thoughts need not be hamstrung by the discrete mental arithmetic of harmonies and structures of the past. The process can in fact also be the end product, as players like Jarrett have proved.

You have probably had more orthodox tuition than I have, as the frequent fugato sections occurring in my own long improvisations tend to be far hairier and wilder than your eloquent combinations. However, that is just a personal option after all, like everything in music. All that matters in the end is that you enjoy the act of their creation, that you hear enough in them to provoke frequent relistening, and that any chosen idiom does not run out of steam, but constantly stimulates new ideas in future years.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline bjornr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:50:12 PM
Ted,

A kind and thoughtful reply, thank you. Yes, I agree, the process has become enormously gratifying in and of itself, unconstrained and free from expectation. I would like to hear your improvisations, tell me if I can find them somewhere. I like hairy and wild also very much, if I might also drop names like Jarrett. 
I sometimes feel like I am fighting or purging what I have been taught in my quest to establish my own voice and style. Those darn old scales keeps creeping back when I am not looking.
Thank you again.

Offline kevin69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 03:00:15 AM
I really enjoyed this, and look forward to hearing more.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:38 AM

very cool..  and interesting that you are choosing to construct a fugue using a jazz standard... and not just any standard... it's one of those that all jazzers play,   I enjoy your playing very much.   If I had to say something it would be maybe to lighten up on the pedal just a bit and let your lines be crystal clear.  Great job thanks for posting. ;D

Here's my arrangement of Autumn Leaves if you are interested..

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert