Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I'll admit it....  (Read 1821 times)

Offline abel2

I'll admit it....
on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:01 AM
I lose all interest in people if they say they like any of the Satie Gymnopedies. They're such stupid pieces of music. They're not even pretty. Just stupid. It's not even a cool progression, people, get over it.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: I'll admit it....
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:29:24 AM
Ugh... ancient Greek music, Greekalism... UGH
Turqoiserie is SO MUCH MORE LISTENABLE: Just listen to the numerous Turkish Marches out there

Only Greeks can compose good Greek music. French composers such as Satie can't come close. (For the case of yogurt, that's different.)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:40:44 AM
I lose all interest in people if they say they like any of the Satie Gymnopedies. They're such stupid pieces of music. They're not even pretty. Just stupid. It's not even a cool progression, people, get over it.
I lose all interest in people who lose interest in people simply because they have different tastes ;)

Who wants pretty anyway?

Offline abel2

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:22:21 AM
I lose all interest in people who lose interest in people simply because they have different tastes ;)

Who wants pretty anyway?
Hey, I'm an elitist. Don't like it, not my problem.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 05:37:53 AM
Hey, I'm an elitist. 

Just not a very good one...

Offline shostglass

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:49:05 AM
Third ones ok it's all objective though.

Offline abel2

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:38 PM
Just not a very good one...
How is one not a good elitist?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:26:15 AM
How is one not a good elitist?

Not knowing how to really sound like one  ;D

Try something like this:

While these pieces were modern and innovative in the time of composition (around 1888 or before), the way they are usually presented today reduce them to pretty melodies and empty sentimentalism. These pieces are much more though. Satie introduced new kind of mimimalism decades before it became a fashion. The pieces themselves are not in any sense outdated, but very few modern pianists such as x.x  (add a name that almost no-one would recognize) can really understand and bring out all the complexity in Saties small scale compositions and understand the connection with literal and visual arts. Satie emphasises perspective rather than progess. It has been said that the Gymnopedies are like walking around a sculpture, viewing it from three different angles.

Offline aweshana21

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 12:48:37 AM
?

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 04:16:54 AM
Congrats for admitting to being everything that is wrong with the classical music world.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:01:09 PM

Try something like this:

While these pieces were modern and innovative in the time of composition (around 1888 or before), the way they are usually presented today reduce them to pretty melodies and empty sentimentalism. These pieces are much more though. Satie introduced new kind of mimimalism decades before it became a fashion. The pieces themselves are not in any sense outdated, but very few modern pianists such as x.x  (add a name that almost no-one would recognize) can really understand and bring out all the complexity in Saties small scale compositions and understand the connection with literal and visual arts. Satie emphasises perspective rather than progess. It has been said that the Gymnopedies are like walking around a sculpture, viewing it from three different angles.

Now, that's elitism as it should be done. Bravo.

Offline abel2

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 10:13:55 PM

Try something like this:

You're thinking of more of elitist stereotypes; elitism refers to simply thinking that something is better than others based on subjective standards.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 06:17:42 AM
elitism refers to simply thinking that something is better than others based on subjective standards.

In your case maybe, but usually not. It's a theoretical concept used in fields such as political science and sociology with specific definitions.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert