Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Miniature Sets  (Read 3061 times)

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Piano Miniature Sets
on: January 29, 2016, 01:47:54 AM
I'm looking to learn a collection of piano miniatures and am wondering if there is anything out there comparable to Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives. I want something preferably modern (but not necessarily), short pieces (2-3 pages max), and a decent number of them (say, around the 20-30 mark, or more). Difficulty isn't an issue but I would prefer if the were suitable for concert, i.e. not student pieces.

Thanks.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Miniature Sets
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:13:20 AM
Not modern but the Alkan esquisses are a brilliant collection of varied miniatures....unique quirky and eccentric among them.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:55 PM
Hi opus10no2,

Thanks for the suggestion. Great little pieces but maybe a few too many for my needs (almost 100 pages!). I've decided to go with the more manageable 24 Preludes of Shostakovich, Op.34.

Offline alkan2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:53:56 AM
Nino Rota's wonderful 15 preludes! Only a couple page each, they present colorful and contrasting material.

Some Rzewski's works (Nanosonatas, etc.) are quite short, quirk and interesting. On IMSLP you can find recording and manuscripts in public domain -quite strange for a living composer!-
Zaderatsky wrote 24 Preludes, more extended than Shosta's but you can easily make a selection. You can find them in Youtube or (all) in Spotify. Liadov wrote some of the most enchanting miniatures of the Russian school. Often grouped in smaller sets, Biriulki could be your choice.
In the Romantic period, small pieces cycles by Schumann and Grieg are a very famous choice. Baroque music is a treasure trove of miniatures, but OT  ;D
Last, I suggest you to have a look at the album "85 Piano Miniatures" by Matthias Veit, rich of wonderful ideas.
Currently on:
Bach - WTK Book 1 n. 5-6
Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
Rachmaninov - Polichinelle op. 3
Studies from Clementi and Moscheles
Telemann - Fantasias 1-2 in D
Haydn - b minor Sonata

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:57:53 PM
Thanks for that suggestion alkan2010. I hadn't heard of Nino Rota before. That's a great little set. I'll definitely look into to that. :D

Offline alkan2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:25:29 AM
Altough Rota is enormously famous as a movie composer (worked with Fellini and was the composer of the Godfather's score!), he has a substantial body of "pure" classical music well worth exploring!
Currently on:
Bach - WTK Book 1 n. 5-6
Beethoven - Sonate Pathétique
Rachmaninov - Polichinelle op. 3
Studies from Clementi and Moscheles
Telemann - Fantasias 1-2 in D
Haydn - b minor Sonata

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:35:37 AM
Prokofiev's Ten Pieces from Romeo and Juliet?
Scriabin's Preludes Op. 11?
Bowen's Preludes?
Schumann's Carnaval?

I'm sure you've already thought of all of these before, but just in case you didn't, here are my suggestions...

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 11:24:32 AM
Prokofiev's Ten Pieces from Romeo and Juliet?
Scriabin's Preludes Op. 11?
Bowen's Preludes?
Schumann's Carnaval?

Great suggestions. I actually forgot about Schumann's Carnaval. I might consider that. The Scriabin and Bowen preludes are also on my radar.

Offline handz

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:30:06 PM
Scriabins preludes op 11 - amazing works, short but have all there should be.
In progress: <br />Scriabin: Preludes op 11 nr 6, 10, 17, 1<br />Rachmaninov: Prelude C# minor<br />Fibich: Poeme<br />Mussorgsky: Pictures at Exhibition Promenade, gnome

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:32 AM
I am not sure of the difficulty level as I have not looked at the scores.
You could have a look at

Lyadov - Spillikins Op.2
Medtner - Improvisation No.2 Op.47. These may be a bit too long though.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert