Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Anyone using Windows 10?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Anyone using Windows 10?
on: January 31, 2016, 12:46:07 AM
I heard you have to pay for it after July 2016.

Is it worth upgrading to?

Any tricks or what's the deal with if I've got a Windows 7 installation disk and key?  As in installing Windows 10 on its own and not upgrading from Windows 7, but still using the Windows 7 key code after installing Windows 10.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone using Windows 10?
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:52:42 AM
Hope this helps...

https://www.redmondpie.com/windows-10-product-key-and-activation-how-to-find-it-and-how-it-works/

Personally, I upgraded it because I want DirectX 12 (Gamers will know what that is, others will think I'm a geek).

It's not bad - a couple of annoyances (like inability to really customise start menu), but I did get it because it was free.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:38:46 AM
I am a software developer, and I was reluctant to upgrade from Win 7, but alas the gears of times keep moving with or without us and in order to keep using the latest tools and features it is better to be as close to the actual realises as possible.

For a casual user nothing changed much, it is like a fusion between Win 7 and Win 8 (which I hated) icons are smaller though
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:17:52 AM
One of my Win7 computers has a box popping up for free upgrade to Win10.  Has anyone done the upgrade using that method?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:53:55 AM
I upgraded to Windows 10  from Windows 8, and everything is fine , I find the features are better and videos stream better.    You can always change back if you are not happy with Grade 10, but I think you will find it is absolutely fine.     
The reason for my upgrade to W10 , was that I hated Window 8 and the videos wouldn't stream.   

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:05:47 PM
I was thinking of trying to install Windows 10 from scratch.  There's an iso file you download I think.  But I want to make sure my Windows 7 license key will work for that for sure first if possible.

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 05:40:23 PM
It seems to be a little faster than Windows 7 and stable so far. The Edge browser is quite fast, but it can't use any extensions or add-ons, such as Ad Blocker, so that limits its usefulness to me.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:22:41 PM
You have to pay after July though, right?  That's pretty much the reason I was thinking of upgrading.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert