Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: A Happy Announcement  (Read 1163 times)

Offline josh93248

A Happy Announcement
on: February 11, 2016, 01:12:52 PM
I just found out today that I got a scholarship to sing with the Melbourne Bach Choir. Feel free to look them up.

https://mbc.asn.au/

So, to get it I needed to take part in an audition/workshop. It was fairly intense and there were more than twice the number of applicants as positions available, we had to learn, on the spot, an unaccompanied (though we did receive help from the piano to an extent) Bruckner choral piece. To give you an idea of how they were testing us nobody ever got to hear their own line in isolation, which is standard procedure for learning a choral work at the beginning. Then after we had sort of learned the Bruckner (we didn't learn all of it or perfect it exactly) we had the auditions, which were to sing your part of Bruckner and then to sight read a choral excerpt from the Matthew Passion. I did fairly well and received a lot of feedback to the effect of 'your voice has great potential'.

The scholarship grants three things:

1. Free entry into the main Bach Choir.
2. An invitation to become a founding member of the Bach Chamber choir, an elite offshoot of the main choir, we will be singing Bruckner and the Rachmaninoff Vespers at some point.
3. A payment of $750 for EACH major performance with the main Bach choir (there are only two this year however they are massive works, the Matthew Passion and Elgar's The Kingdom)

To top it off I am getting good vibes from the conductor (who is just excellent, look him up, he's Rick Prakhoff) and who knows where things may lead? Making a connection with a somebody that good and probably the most high level musician who knows my name and can also probably help with making more connections and possibly even furthering my career.

Needless to say I'm thrilled  ;D

Just thought I would try to fill the forum with some good vibes haha, maybe nobody cares.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: A Happy Announcement
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:10 PM
Dude congratulations! This is wonderful. So proud of your rapid progress :)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert