Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Why does a piece I don't like become a piece I want to learn after 3 listens?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Hi all,

Is this normal? I'm not even sure why I listen to a piece that I don't like several times but have found that a piece sometimes grows on me or something like that.

It seems to sound different and better after repeated listenings. I hear more and "get it". There is also some anticipation.

I guess I shouldn't trust my first impression then?

I was thinking that if I don't like something when I hear it the first time I shouldn't learn it because when I perform it maybe many other listeners won't like it either if it's their first time?

Any thoughts?