Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Learning piano (No teacher)  (Read 1853 times)

Offline tezt

Learning piano (No teacher)
on: February 17, 2016, 03:39:58 AM
So my situation is kinda strange, I started piano at a very young age I learned how to play notes ,rhythms (even though my inherent pulse is almost nonexistent), and got to book 5 of the Faber piano adventures before I stopped taking lessons. However, I have taken up clarinet in my school band and learned most of the music making elements about playing music (such as expression and diligent practice).

What I'm lacking is:
1. A teacher (working on it)
2. Even fingers
3. Pedal skills
4. Probably a lot more I don't know about

What I'm doing:
- working through hannon (playing really slow, but I have a hard time determining how even I'm playing)
- learning a chromatic
-I taught myself rondo alla turca and am taking that to state solo and ensemble

My goal: fantasia impromptu and becoming a competent piano player

How do I go about learning these things?

If any part of this post seemed unclear please ask for clarification and I will provide it asap.
Thanks

Offline pianocat3

Re: Learning piano (No teacher)
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:51:05 PM
I got back to piano a year ago as a middle age adult. I was intermediate level maybe at that time, not quite as good as you are now on piano. Never had discipline when I took lessons before, eg didn't count much, sloppy about holding notes for full value or observing rests etc. I got a good teacher and as you surmise about yourself, I had so many other problems! So I suggedt you put some effort into finding a good teacher. Mine has a masters in piano pedagogy or whatever that degree is called, and I swear, if I have a problem of any sort, she almost always has some way to help me with it. All the best in your piano study!!
Currently working on:

Beethoven Pastoral Sonata (Andante)
Debussy Prelude from Suite Bergamasque
Accompaniment music for cello and piano
Summer project is improvisation

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 03:13:19 PM
What I'm doing:
- working through hannon (playing really slow, but I have a hard time determining how even I'm playing)

Use a metronome to check even-ness, however on a serious note why hanon? Why not just pick up a collection of easier piano pieces and learn those? Through learning lots of pieces you are bound to cover all the techniques that are covered in the book.

Further more, at this stage you have nothing to gain from just learning Hanon by yourself (in my opinion)

How do I go about learning these things?

Get a piano teacher :D

Aside from that your request is vague.

Essentially how you go from Hannon and poor pedalling to the Fantasie impromptu.

It's like having a watch and saying now how to we make a time machine lol.

You need to take it step by step and not try and take on too much and be logical and sensible about your practice. Again - Teacher should be your priority I think.

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:55:31 PM
I concur with addod, please do not use hanon without a teacher.

Hanon + Modern Teacher is the best combination, you'll find your technique greatly improved. But hanon alone? And just following the book's vague instructions? You can injure yourself with that.

I too have just recently returned to the piano this january(also started young), though I got my teacher in the mid february, since It felt like i acquired a lot of bad habits while self studying so that worried me, hence, the teacher. posts in these forums are very helpful but not enough to give you proper training and insight on playing the piano. (but practice advices here are excellent).
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline tezt

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:40:31 PM
I put the goal of the impromptu there just because I'm not looking for specific advice to do so.

If hannon is not the way to go alone what should I do to even my fingers and work on pedal?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:38:37 AM

If hannon is not the way to go alone what should I do to even my fingers and work on pedal?

You just don't get it... That is why you should get a teacher. There's no way anybody can tell you what you should do without observing closely what you are doing now and how you are built. We all have different strengths and weaknesses and the goal is to take full advantage of the strengths and compensate for the weaknesses. Good teachers can help you to find the ways to do all that, but it requires plenty of interaction.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert