Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: bach aria vs partita  (Read 1770 times)

Offline echoyjeff222

• PS Silver Member
bach aria vs partita
on: February 21, 2016, 01:47:36 AM
Hi all,

I'm thinking about tackling another Bach piece, and I was hoping for some suggestions. I'm thinking about the aria #1 in G from the goldberg variations or Partita No 1, BWV 825 ...

I've only played a prelude and fugue (bk. 1 #17 in a flat major), so I'm not sure if these two pieces are too large of a next step. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Offline marijn1999

Re: bach aria vs partita
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:29:53 AM
Well, those pieces are quite different. The aria from the Goldberg Variations is a lot easier then the Prelude from the first Partita, since the aria mostly consists of a melody played in the right hand, while the left hand plays an acompaniment.

However wonderful that aria is, it contains minimal counterpoint (which is exactly why Bach's music is so infamous), where the Prelude from the Partita is pretty much all counterpoint, and I think it will bring you much more than just the aria. Also because the aria is part of a much larger work which shouldn't be seperated, in my opinion.

Anyway, always play what you like. I suggest also learning another fugue or Three-Part Inventions because those are the pieces Bach was a real master at.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:46:31 PM
I'd say, go ahead and learn the whole first Partita. It's very beautiful, and most of the movements are similar in difficulty to the two part inventions. The prelude is a little harder, it's basically a three part invention. But if you've played the Ab major prelude and fugue the partita should be perfectly doable.

Offline echoyjeff222

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:05:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go ahead with the Partita, but I also just heard the Bach French Suite in G Major (no 5) and liked it quite a bit. Between that and the Partita, which one should I try?

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 06:43:51 PM

what kind of comparison are you making...  this is like saying what should I play Minuet in G or The Revolutionary etude?. Ok, so maybe not quite that extreme...but you get the picture.  I can't really think of a situation where that kind of choice would have to be made by a student.

Offline marijn1999

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:08:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go ahead with the Partita, but I also just heard the Bach French Suite in G Major (no 5) and liked it quite a bit. Between that and the Partita, which one should I try?

They are quite different as pieces. The French Suites are written in a so-called "galant" style, and despite their name they individual dances are actually more in the Italian style. It is because of the order of the dances that they are called French Suites. Anyway, the French Suites are much smaller and unlike their preceding Allemandes, the other dances are little miniature pieces.

The Partitas are much larger suites and are also much more in the French style (despite them also sometimes being called German suites). Unlike the French or English suites the Partitas don't have use a standard introductory movement. With the Partitas, Bach also proved himself a true master of the suite form, which was a form that intrigued him from the very moment he began composing, and also shows that he could combine his mastery of counterpoint with this suite mastery. Therefore, the Partitas are much more special, in my opinion.

Technically, the 5th French Suite is about as hard as the 1st Partita, however the Partita is much harder to interpret and perfect. I'm not sure if you've ever played any other Bach suite, but if not, I'd even go down a notch and learn the 1st, 3rd or 4th French Suite, then the 5th one. After that, I think you're ready to start with the Partitas.

Also make sure you really understand the suite form, the origin of the order of the dances and the contrast between them.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:15:22 PM

The French Suite in G is mostly at the same level as the Partita in Bb, except that the gigue from the French Suite is fairly tricky. They're both nice pieces, but taking the two as a whole the French Suite is somewhat more difficult.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert