Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Most efficient way to improve ear skills..?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline salim

Most efficient way to improve ear skills..?
on: February 21, 2016, 11:26:32 AM
Well, I usually learn music from Anime and games using sheets, but those are transcriptions made by other people.. So I want to make my own 'version' now instead of playing another person's. I heard learning by 'hunting' for the keys isn't really a good way to improve, and I want to be good enough (eventually) to hit the right key straight away when I hear a tune or something.. so what would you guys recommend? Would learning thing like scales be helpful for me? Thanks in advance ^^

Offline recnepspencer

Re: Most efficient way to improve ear skills..?
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:30 PM
How familiar are you with scales, cords, and stuff like that? That would be the best place to start. As for developing ear skills practice being able to recognize intervals. If you hear a c/c# played, it's pretty easily recognizable. Just work on intervals as much as you can, because to be able to recognize them like second nature takes a LOT of practice. Try playing a note, such as c then, look at another note and imagine what it will sound like, then press it and see if you were right. This is where you would start.
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline boxjuice

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:21:38 PM
If you wanna improve interval recognition, theres this free app on the apple app store called "pitch improver" the plays random intervals and makes you guess them. You can do it on their website, pitchimprover.com too.

From what i hear, scale degrees are the way to go, though, and id be interested to know how to impove scale degree recognition, too.

Offline salim

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:51:55 PM
Alright, thanks guys ^^

Offline ymlgarcia

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 01:00:30 AM
Hi! If you hum/sing the tune it would really help. I didn't sing before, but when I started it helped me identify the pitch of the tunes I needed to play. Practice singing it in C major scale then in intervals. 

Offline trollbuster

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 02:03:25 PM
How familiar are you with scales, cords, and stuff like that?

cords?  like you know anything about it..

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 04:33:16 PM
cords?  like you know anything about it..
loool
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert