Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Funny story - an impressionist piece - what does this evoke from you?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline jimroof

My wife had my old recital tapes converted to digital a couple of years ago and I popped in the very first CD to give a listen and THIS piece is what I heard...

Now, keep in mind that this was recorded in 1979 and almost 35 years had passed since this recital (my Junior recital as a piano performance major).  I had worked on some 'big' pieces for this recital and also had a few little works to round the program out (a one hour program).

So, I heard this piece and immediately thought "Uh-oh... someone sent the wrong CD's to me - this does not sound familiar at all".  It was as if I was listening to SOMEONE ELSE PLAY.  I never had that luxury before in my life.  I actually enjoyed the piece as a listener, being totally devoid of the kind of self-criticism that I usually heap onto myself.

Now, I am interested in your take on this.  I am leaving the title blank because it is an impressionist work and I want to know what images this little piece brings to YOUR mind.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
gotta say Jim.. those are some fine chops you got there.

It sounds like a Ravel- Gershwin-esque  fusion-- a carnival a cityscape clowns maybe

I enjoyed that very much thanks for posting it. :)

those old recordings... I hear ya...  can't tell you how many times I have said "wow, who is that playing the piano?"   only to be told it's me.   sometimes I am happy about that... and other times... not so much. lol   

Offline piulento

Was just reading this piece today. One of my favorites in the set.
This is a great performance. I was kind of bummed out that you didn't "explode" a bit near the end like most pianists do, but I really liked how you made some of the themes and phrases stick out.
Might be interesting if you re-learned this and uploaded your current version here, just to see how your playing has changed :)

Offline jimroof

Was just reading this piece today. One of my favorites in the set.
This is a great performance. I was kind of bummed out that you didn't "explode" a bit near the end like most pianists do, but I really liked how you made some of the themes and phrases stick out.
Might be interesting if you re-learned this and uploaded your current version here, just to see how your playing has changed :)

When I learned this I referred to no other performances at all.  It was just me and my instructor, and she would give me a lot of latitude to flesh things out as I heard them.

I just noticed that the very first note was clipped from the recording and it appears to have not made it to the CD from the tape...  too bad. 
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline jimroof

gotta say Jim.. those are some fine chops you got there.

It sounds like a Ravel- Gershwin-esque  fusion-- a carnival a cityscape clowns maybe

I enjoyed that very much thanks for posting it. :)

those old recordings... I hear ya...  can't tell you how many times I have said "wow, who is that playing the piano?"   only to be told it's me.   sometimes I am happy about that... and other times... not so much. lol   

You are very very close on your visualization here... very close.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline piulento

When I learned this I referred to no other performances at all.  It was just me and my instructor, and she would give me a lot of latitude to flesh things out as I heard them.

Really? That's quite impressive, I think I'd be lost without having something to compare myself to with this kind of music. It's really easy to completely lose the piece's "message" if you can't find a proper "frame" when you play. Can't believe you played this so well on your own...
Still very interested in hearing you play it today :)

Offline jimroof

Really? That's quite impressive, I think I'd be lost without having something to compare myself to with this kind of music. It's really easy to completely lose the piece's "message" if you can't find a proper "frame" when you play. Can't believe you played this so well on your own...
Still very interested in hearing you play it today :)

I had a wonderful teacher at the time.  A real musician's musician.  An example...

When I played the Ginastera Piano Sonata, she had one of the violists for the Atlanta Symphony coach me on the culture of Argentina (he was born a raised there).  He filled my head with visual information that provided a rich backdrop against which the piece took on a new meaning.

For this piece, the title alone gives the pianist a lot of what needs to be known (Minstrels...).  It is playful, joking, even slapstick.  It purposefully stumbles, then has its little moments of jazz musicians who are on the scene for a bit.  It's a bit tipsy too.  Just a lot of fun in this piece.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert