Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Water Lillies - hopefully not plagiarised!  (Read 1035 times)

Offline richbatsford

• PS Silver Member
Water Lillies - hopefully not plagiarised!
on: March 10, 2016, 04:01:30 AM
Hi Folks

I wrote this short piece recently and rather liked it. 

I think its a bit more old fashioned than most of my compositions, and it set me wondering if theres was a possibility that I had unconcsiously plagiarised.

Please let me know!

cheers

Rich
listen to my music for free at www.richbatsford.com/music or on facebook at https://artist.to/richbatsford/

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: Water Lillies - hopefully not plagiarised!
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:05 AM
Hi.
I would say it is not plagiarized for the simple fact that it is (utterly) generic.. sounds like dozens,  but not one in particular..
 sorry if that sounds harsh..
4'33"

Offline pantonality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:52:00 PM
First I'd like to congratulate you on getting a response! Yes, your piece is generic, but at least someone thought enough of it to tell you. A few weeks ago I posted a new piece of mine (https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=60919.0) and got nothing. Your piece is a thoughtful use of three chords. There is one spot where you try to throw in a bit of chromaticism in the melody, frankly it doesn't work. I'd take it out, fortunately, it's brief. The piece is nice enough, you vary the accompaniment and register and get things moving a bit. It doesn't remind me of water lillies, because with water lillies the water isn't usually moving much and this piece has motion in the accompaniment. Just a thought.

Steve

Offline kalospiano

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:40:09 PM
I actually think it's quite a sweet melodic idea, but it does need some better development.
No idea if it's plagiarized, though :)

Offline richbatsford

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:07 AM
thanks folks

I know its a bit generic - my usual work has a bit more or a contemporary, and I hope somewhat original style, but theres something about the grace and simplicity of this melody that appeals to me a great deal actually.

I know I havent developed it much, but it seemed to me that it is so simply 'of itself' that it building it into something bigger or larger might actually destract from it.

It doesnt seem like many people share my view of its beauty, but perhaps a future better recording might do something to bring it out.   Glad no one has suggested its not original tho.

Rich
listen to my music for free at www.richbatsford.com/music or on facebook at https://artist.to/richbatsford/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert