Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann: Barenreiter or Henle  (Read 5564 times)

Offline tmcevoy213

Schumann: Barenreiter or Henle
on: March 29, 2016, 05:59:56 PM
I'm getting into Schumann and looking to pick up nice editions of some solo piano works (Album for the Young, Scenes from Childhood, Kreisleriana, Forest Scenes, Papillons, etc).

A few of these are offered by Barenreiter in a recent edition. Has anyone checked it out? Is it worth a few bucks more than the Henle?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann: Barenreiter or Henle
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:16:20 PM
It is all worthless, so the Edition is irrelevant.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline tmcevoy213

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:32:35 PM
It is all worthless

I would like to judge this for myself, preferably through the means of a nice edition.

Anyone else? All productive comments appreciated!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:17:40 PM
i think henle paper has more cotton. score unlike thal said  (i almost alwta agree w this sage ) it does have a good use, if you run out of cat litter, you can line the box w the henle, its more absorbant when you are in a pinch.

Offline tmcevoy213

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:47:36 PM
Would love to hear any real responses. Trolls can stay under the bridge.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:04:39 PM
I've really nothing negative to say about either edition, but if there's the choice I usually go for Henle as I find the typography just that little bit nicer to read. Honestly can't think of another deciding factor.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:25 PM
PS - actually a few recent Bärenreiter editions have included some lovely facsimile pages which may also be an argument...
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline daniele1234

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:29:23 PM
@tmcevoy213 I'm really sorry that you have these two idiots making stupid comments on your perfectly reasonable question. They are trying to be funny, and it is not working - it is just rude, offensive, and trolling for no reason. You are new to this site and I really think these ''sages" as they like to call themselves should be treating you better. Hope you have a good time on the site and just ignore these stupid people trying to be funny:)

p.s. I have no idea which edition is better, sorry! (just thought I had to say what I did above though)
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue
- Xenakis Herma

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:54:53 AM
For Schumann, I've used Henle.  No complaints.  

Haven't yet examined the Bärenreiter, but I have always liked their paper. 

I would estimate Thal and Visitor have a greater depth and breadth of knowledge in the piano repertoire than many reference librarians and music profs I've met.  The opinions stated, while understandably uncomfortable to some, are made by very respectable folks.

You are probably new to this site.  Do get to know the community before jumping to conclusions.  A sense of humor is a good thing to have here.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 05:37:30 AM
good to know that someone else hier likes Schumann ; 'thumbs down' comments seem to be ten to one 'gainst the 'thumbs up's'.  have a Henle "Kinderszenen" but nothing from Barenreiter for comparison.  per usual, Urtext on the front cover, on the first page beneath the composer and title of the work,

"Nach der Originalausgabe herausgegeben von Wolfgang Boetticher

"Fingersatz von Walther Lampe "

nearly all the tempi and dynamics are expressed in Italian but "Schneller" makes in into 'Furchtenmachen' a couple of times.  worth the 6.95 u.s.$$ it cost.

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 05:40:32 PM
Tried different pieces on Henle, Wiener, Dover, Schirmer, ABRSM & Peters editions, but not Barenreiter.

In any case, when studying a piece, no harm to go to public libraries, ismlp and other free sites to check out whatever editions available and make comparisons.

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 06:36:29 AM
this evening dug out my score of Schubert's 'Spaete Klavierstuecke'(D 817, 915, 946) to test my sight reading progress after about a month (it's improved somehow), lo and behold, it was a Baerenreiter Urtext.  it includes several informative pages of commentary about the edition, performance practice, and references to the original manuscripts.  overall, to my elderly eyes the printing and font is just slightly sharper and clearer than Henle (have a few other scores from them besides the Kinderszenen), the fingering numbers and dynamic abbreviations are a bit easier to read.  quite possible that their paper is a bit higher quality, because the overall readability seems slightly better.  enjoy your adventures with viejo Roberto.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 08:27:20 PM
I've just purchased both the Henle and Barenreiter versions of the Debussy Arabesques, as i'm currently working on the first and looking at the second. My teacher loves Henle, and Schumann for that matter!

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 03:38:35 AM

I would estimate Thal and Visitor have a greater depth and breadth of knowledge in the piano repertoire than many reference librarians and music profs I've met.  The opinions stated, while understandably uncomfortable to some, are made by very respectable folks.

No they aren't, frankly. They are welcome to their opinions; but these two guys stating these same opinions (I repeat, OPINIONS) in EVERY SINGLE Schumann thread, even when noticeably unwarranted (what was the point of them in this thread? The only possible outcome is, yes, trolling people who might like his music: and a very large number of people who do are every bit as valid in their opinions as these guys), is an entirely un-respectable choice of action.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 11:17:34 PM
lmfao
thal and visitor are awesome
stop being such a pansy

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 05:00:34 AM
lmfao
thal and visitor are awesome
stop being such a pansy

LOL

All that needs to be said about the maturity level one experiences on this forum. Probably why Talkclassical and Pianoworld are both infinitely superior. Any new-ish members looking at this post and witnessing the 'sages' we must blindly admire: heed my advice and go to Pianoworld.

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 05:10:14 AM
Mistake.

Offline stoudemirestat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 06:40:48 AM

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 08:13:42 AM
LOL

All that needs to be said about the maturity level one experiences on this forum. Probably why Talkclassical and Pianoworld are both infinitely superior. Any new-ish members looking at this post and witnessing the 'sages' we must blindly admire: heed my advice and go to Pianoworld.

I find their forums are a little messy and not easy on the eye. Particularly PianoWorld.

That's why I signed up to this one. But I agree there is a level of immaturity / hostility on this site.

"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 12:20:46 PM
heed my advice and go to Pianoworld.

Sad to see you go, but I understand why.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 12:37:50 PM
LOL

All that needs to be said about the maturity level one experiences on this forum.

No kidding. You rarely see anyone crying about a joke in pianoworld or talkclassical. Glad that you got the chance to finally flex your ego, now hurry up and heed your own advice.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 02:01:24 PM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert