Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: HELP  (Read 1756 times)

Offline jvckgrey

HELP
on: March 31, 2016, 07:07:54 PM
I am currently teaching one student and he has just completed the faber piano adventure series. I gave him a clementi sonatina and he learned it in about 2 weeks. What are the next steps in teaching and helping him go further into piano learning.

Offline juliaalessandra

Re: HELP
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:27:38 PM
Please donīt take it as an offense, but reading your post I wonder whether you have any experience in teaching.
Because normally, the following pieces are chosen taking into consideration the studentīs strong points as well as his deficiencies. Without further information about him or her it is impossible to recommend something.
English is not my mother tongue so please be lenient. Thank you. :)

Currently studying:
- Chopin Op 25 No 12
- Beethoven 32 variations WoO 80
- Bach Partita No. 2

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 04:43:18 PM
The question was also asked here and received one answer:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=61253.msg656207#msg656207
In another post the OP states s/he has been studying piano for 3 years (or at least, learning to play from sheet music for three years).  This mind indicate level of experience and the type of help needed.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:04:10 PM
I am currently teaching one student and he has just completed the faber piano adventure series. I gave him a clementi sonatina and he learned it in about 2 weeks. What are the next steps in teaching and helping him go further into piano learning.
You shouldn't be teaching him. To be honest, it is not fair to this bright student to have a teacher of no knowledge of how to go further with the piece (diving deeper) or going for breadth past it.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 02:52:21 AM
Given the lack of experience you have indicated, (and I say this with no sarcastic or offensive intent) pass him on to another teacher. Politely inform him that you've taught him all you can.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert