Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [audio only] Scriabin Op 8 n 12 (old student performance)  (Read 1787 times)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
so as i mature, am finding somethings i really like about old performance recordings i absolutely hated in the past. i posted in the student thread about making mistakes that there are things to strive for and focus on when it matters besides just being note perfect. so being brave and acknowledge what i still don't like and would do better, but accepting and proud of what i learned w/ my time w this bear of a piece.
so i'm trying to be courageous as this is an exercise in accepting of where i was, am, and focusing on what i want to improve on moving forward.
never let this recording see the light of day for years,however, now when i listen, yes i still "know" the music in my head ( though these etudes get out of the hands easily, i could likely work it up again in a couple months given how long i focused on it years back in lessons w my former artist/teacher)
she had told me this was good, that i did some really nice things and that i did no fall into the trap of playing it too fast which allowed more of the pathos and phrasing/shaping to come out, also, w scriabin deep octaves, rich harmonies get get lost cannot befully appeciated by the ear, which i agreed w with so the slower tempo here is by choice, i had this worked up faster but chose to relax the reigns a bit, and now i hear it, to good effect. i had some performance jitters so a couple botched notes but i was focused on how i wanted to shape the music. so yeah few baubles as this was a studio performance in home w the other students so wasn't really there performance nerves wise.
piano was a nice yammy conservatory c. audio not the best but adequate.
i hope you all like it
*give it a few seconds, the student before had the seat all jacked up and i needed to the music desk down too

Offline kawai_cs

Re: [audio only] Scriabin Op 8 n 12 (old student performance)
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:38:39 AM
Oh, I had goosebumps during the whole piece!
I can totally see why your teacher said you did a great job!
Very musical, beautifully shaped, played dramatically and with pathos.
I guess we students concentrate on our flaws when listening to our performances thus the critical perception of our own renditions.
That would be pretty cool if you could re-work it now and share it with us in some time! It would be most interesting to hear how you see this piece now.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:56:08 AM
Oh, I had goose bumps during the whole piece!
I can totally see why your teacher said you did a great job!
Very musical, beautifully shaped, played dramatically and with pathos.
I guess we students concentrate on our flaws when listening to our performances thus the critical perception of our own renditions.
That would be pretty cool if you could re-work it now and share it with us in some time! It would be most interesting to hear how you see this piece now.
thanks so much kawai_cs
 I agree that we all immediately focus on our shortcomings. Im glad you liked it, i have needed a little confidence boost as i  working out of what was a little musical rut. We do this thing enough and we burn out a little bit, not we stop lovng music but our zeal, our batteries occassionally need to recharge.  Feeling a bit more normal latley. I dont force myself to practice so just didnt feel like playing much past few months, now getting the itch to hit it hard again
your warm comments really mean alot. I do immediately hear w a critical ear things i want to do w it so i hope and plan to revisit the work in the future.
thanks again

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:02:25 PM
Slower than Im using to hearing it, but you managed to amp the atmosphere near the end. Pretty cool :D I would like to hear a more update version from you!

Btw i thought you only played obscure stuff, does this mean i might get to hear chopin from you? XD

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 04:59:38 PM
Btw i thought you only played obscure stuff, does this mean i might get to hear chopin from you? XD

Remember, this was made a long time ago. He has since changed ;)
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:33:08 PM
Slower than Im using to hearing it, but you managed to amp the atmosphere near the end. Pretty cool :D I would like to hear a more update version from you!

thanks. i recorded it faster and just hated it, and still don't care for this piece fast, i think it ruins the 'sound' in anything but mutant super powered capable hands.

i do dabble in the standards, i just really like some of the forgotten stuff, especially since it's a bit of blank slate expression wise. Scriabin is an exception, will always have room for Alex. Especially since one of my bucket list of life pieces is the op 28 Fantasie.  :)

As for Chopin, hmm, perhaps ha ha, coincidentally i'm working on some 'Chopin' (you'll know what the 'quote' means when i finally record and UL/share it  ;) )

I appreciate the time you took to listen and weight in and your kind remarks, means bunches.

Remember, this was made a long time ago. He has since changed ;)
LEL, tastes and tenancies do change, i gravitate to the 'obscure' however my appreciation of Mozart, JS Bach,  Beethoven, deepens even if i don't necessarily learn/play a lot of it (which has not been ruled out, always circle back around to those kids).  8) :D

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:20 PM
Hi,

Although a tad slower than what I am familiar with,
this was really GOOD and expressive.....
I just wish Enzo would play some Scriabin soon.

emill
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:38:41 PM
Hi,

Although a tad slower than what I am familiar with,
this was really GOOD and expressive.....
I just wish Enzo would play some Scriabin soon.

emill
hi emil, thank you somuch for your kind comments. Really appreciate you took time to listen and weigh in.
i thnk and hope Enzo will eventually find his way to Scriabin, there is so much variety and breadth of style, it would be unusual if nothing  of his appeals to him.
you might suggest he listen to w score the op 28 fantasie, it's my most favorite of all piano works ever and it tends to have a broadness of appeal to it.

yes tempo,  the relaxedfeel was premeditated and i still feel that for me it was and still is the right pace, if i went faster, likely would not go more than about 4-6 clicks per minute faster. Again thats what is great about what we do there is still a little room for creative decisions by us players, sometimes works, sometimes not so much and im glad my sentiments and expressive goal did not ruin the piece  :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 09:06:40 AM
I really appreciate your approach to the piece, much more than the macho virtuosic stance many people take with it.  There are so many things going on with inner voice leading that tend to get lost in those "fast" interpretations.  Years ago I read about accounts on Scriabin's own playing, and this recording made me think of that. 

What your teacher was referring to clearly comes across in this recording.  Good on you working up the courage to share this.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:13:00 PM
I really like Visitor's playing, I feel bad for not seeing it the way you guys do. :( Too musically immature to love anything thats not loud and fast xD

Though I like the "play fast like a demon" approach I love how this slower version makes the left hand "sing", if that makes any sense..

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:31:31 PM
@quantum @mjames
thanks!
My music school professor used to hard on me a lot about striving for  singing tone, i mean some lessons a full hour on just tone production of a few measures of music.
glad some of that came out, and hopefully encourages others  that bobasric speed not be the end all be all (though totally agree its needed where its needed).

Im glad this sparked some good discussion and the comments have been so encouraging.

:D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert