Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Competitions  (Read 1494 times)

Offline schubert960

Piano Competitions
on: May 08, 2016, 07:03:35 PM
Dear All

I have entered some piano competitions, the first of which is in a few days. I am reading through the requirements and it seems that any competitor is required to bring a clean copy of the score of the music they are playing. Would a printout from IMSLP be acceptable for this, or am I going to have to purchase a brand new score just for this competition?

Many thanks.

Offline chopinawesome

Re: Piano Competitions
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:29:04 PM
When I take part in competitions, I have to borrow my teacher's book if I don't have the book that has the piece I am playing. The judges think that IMSLP is illegal. :( :(
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline benjdod

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 05:55:06 PM
The judges usually want a full score of the piece.  This is mainly because the edition you downloaded could be totally and helplessly screwed up.  IMSLP is a great resource for learning, but usually just doesn't have the reputability of a score (you know what they say about the internet  ;))

Offline tinyking12345

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:22:45 PM
I nearly always print scores of imslp to give to adjudicators...
Most good adjudicators don't usually look at the scores anyway.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert