Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Bach English Suites  (Read 4810 times)

Offline chopinawesome

Bach English Suites
on: May 14, 2016, 05:22:16 AM
Hi
What would be a good movement from an English Suite by Bach to start with? I have just finished his 2nd french suite,Chopin's Impromptu 1 and Nocturne 5,Schubert's 90/2, and Haydn's c sharp minor Sonata. I really like the Gigue from the 6th Suite, but is it too difficult?
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline diomedes

Re: Bach English Suites
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:57:17 PM
The English suites more so than the others become increasingly complex with each number. At least thats what I think, judging from the Preludes. The first Prelude in A is easier, the d minor Prelude is very considerable in its demands and length.

I found the F major Prelude to be very demanding.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:46:42 PM
The English suites more so than the others become increasingly complex with each number. At least thats what I think, judging from the Preludes. The first Prelude in A is easier, the d minor Prelude is very considerable in its demands and length.

I found the F major Prelude to be very demanding.
So what do you think would be a good English Suite movement to start with?
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline marijn1999

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:49:17 PM
I personally think the F Major Suite, BWV 809 is the easiest one and the D minor Suite, BWV 811 the hardest. But all of them are much harder than the French Suites. If you're coming from the 2nd French Suite, I suggest first learning Maybe the 3rd, 4th or 5th before moving on to the English Suites. If you're ready for them, I'd start with the F Major Suite (Nr. 4)

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:38:55 PM
I personally think the F Major Suite, BWV 809 is the easiest one and the D minor Suite, BWV 811 the hardest. But all of them are much harder than the French Suites. If you're coming from the 2nd French Suite, I suggest first learning Maybe the 3rd, 4th or 5th before moving on to the English Suites. If you're ready for them, I'd start with the F Major Suite (Nr. 4)

BW,
Marijn
I can play all the french suites except no.1. Is the 2nd english suite the second easiest? I will consider BWV 809.The Prelude from English Suite 4 looks hard on score.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline marijn1999

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 04:53:15 PM
I can play all the french suites except no.1. Is the 2nd english suite the second easiest? I will consider BWV 809.The Prelude from English Suite 4 looks hard on score.

I can say this, however it is my opinion and it is based on my experiences and mine only, so it doesn't mean that what I say also is true for you. Anyway, for me the 4th Suite is the easiest, then the 3rd Suite, then the 2nd Suite, then the 5th Suite and the hardest the 6th Suite.

A lot of people say the 2nd Suite is easy, but don't underestimate it. It requires a lot of stamina and has lots of hidden difficulties, musical and technical. The prelude from the 4th Suite isn't all that hard, never fool yourself into thinking a piece is hard just by looking at the score. For me the prelude mostly took time for learning the ornaments without interfering with the other hand. I suggest learning it hands seperately entirely and then join hands.

BW,
Marijn
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 05:27:14 PM
Is the Prelude from the 2nd Suite harder than the prelude from the 3rd? Have you played all of them?
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline marijn1999

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:08:35 PM
Is the Prelude from the 2nd Suite harder than the prelude from the 3rd? Have you played all of them?

I think the both are about the same difficulty. Maybe from Suite No. 2 a little bit easier because it involves much less in polyphony. I played Suites Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in their enterity and No. 6 only the Prelude and Allemande.

BW,
Marijn

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 12:58:12 AM
So what's so hard about No.2?
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline diomedes

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 01:41:25 PM
I played that one long ago, I don't think it's unusually difficult.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline marijn1999

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:27:19 PM
So what's so hard about No.2?

It involves a lot in counterpoint. If you haven't heard about it before, I suggest searching for it on the internet. But take it from me. Most of Bach's keyboard pieces will become increasingly difficult after the French Suites with the 5th one already being very difficult. You will have to do very akward hand positions and fingerings mostly because the keys were closer to each other back in Bach's day.

It will also involve keep playing with other fingers whilst holding other ones with fingers in the same hand or playing two melodies in one hand.

BW,
marijn

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 02:09:52 AM
Where would you think No.1 would fall?
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert