Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Recommendations  (Read 2909 times)

Offline elis_piano

Recommendations
on: May 15, 2016, 10:07:12 PM
What would you recomend to a student to play next if he plays pieces like Rachmaninoff - Moment Musical op. 16 N. 4, Rachmaninoff - prelude in c# minor, Chopin - Revolutionary etude, Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 n 1, Chopin - Polonaise op 26 n 2 ?
Thank you !

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Recommendations
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:00:48 PM
I would reccomend pieces that are as different as possible to those listed.
on my list. For further study for said student

a Handel suite
A Poulenc Nocturne
a Hummel Piano Sonata
A set of Kabevsky preludes
a shostakovich prelude and fugue
a Sauer etude

Offline piulento

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:16:53 PM
Scarlatti

Offline elis_piano

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 03:23:45 PM
I would reccomend pieces that are as different as possible to those listed.
on my list. For further study for said student

a Handel suite
A Poulenc Nocturne
a Hummel Piano Sonata
A set of Kabevsky preludes
a shostakovich prelude and fugue
a Sauer etude

Ok.. thanks but could you recommend similar to those listed?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 03:27:20 PM

Ok.. thanks but could you recommend similar to those listed?
there are numerous pieces in each of those sets. I like them all.

as for a specific piece in addition to the recc by category -type- composer, you can look at this one. super cool piece

better audio and the other two in the op 11 set

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:27:58 PM
What would you recomend to a student to play next if he plays pieces like Rachmaninoff - Moment Musical op. 16 N. 4, Rachmaninoff - prelude in c# minor, Chopin - Revolutionary etude, Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 n 1, Chopin - Polonaise op 26 n 2 ?
Thank you !
Introduce him to the WTC if you haven't already. There's plenty of good stuff in there that isn't just dry baroque stuff.
Also, late Beethoven (although really just Beethoven in general).
Liszt is also great, and some of the etudes might be approachable.
The Khatchaturian Toccata is fun.

Offline elis_piano

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:24:50 PM
Introduce him to the WTC if you haven't already. There's plenty of good stuff in there that isn't just dry baroque stuff.

He already plays preludes and fugues from the WTC.. He plays Beethoven too.. Could you suggest me some Liszt pieces? Thank you!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:35:20 AM
Are you a teacher?

it sounds like you're out of your depth if you're not familiar with this level of repertoire, and cannot think of similar level pieces to work with.

Almost any Liszt pieces will be suitable, at this stage it comes down to the students preferences, but their repertoire seems very scattered, why not learn the set of Chopin Etudes, or the full Opus 16 of Rachmaninoff?
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline dogperson

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:02:37 AM
Are you a teacher?

it sounds like you're out of your depth if you're not familiar with this level of repertoire, and cannot think of similar level pieces to work with.

Almost any Liszt pieces will be suitable, at this stage it comes down to the students preferences, but their repertoire seems very scattered, why not learn the set of Chopin Etudes, or the full Opus 16 of Rachmaninoff?
Per his other posts, he is a conservatory student looking for repertoire (including a concerto) for himself.  Very confusing  that a conservatory student would not be guided by his teacher.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:21 AM
Per his other posts, he is a conservatory student looking for repertoire (including a concerto) for himself.  Very confusing  that a conservatory student would not be guided by his teacher.

Ah ok, i misread the first post, it sounded like he was a teacher now it seems they were just referring to themselves in 3rd person

What would you recomend to a student to play next if he plays pieces like Rachmaninoff

But yes you are also right. Maybe its just me, but to get to this sort of level, you must have played many many other pieces and established yourself as a pianist with taste and preference, to seem to have so little intuition towards what new piece to choose next is confusing to me..

EDIT. definitely think they're a teacher based on a previous post

Quote from: chopinlover01 on 11 October 2016, 18:27:58

He already plays preludes and fugues from the WTC.. He plays Beethoven too.. Could you suggest me some Liszt pieces? Thank you!
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline dogperson

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 11:43:52 AM
Ah ok, i misread the first post, it sounded like he was a teacher now it seems they were just referring to themselves in 3rd person

What would you recomend to a student to play next if he plays pieces like Rachmaninoff

But yes you are also right. Maybe its just me, but to get to this sort of level, you must have played many many other pieces and established yourself as a pianist with taste and preference, to seem to have so little intuition towards what new piece to choose next is confusing to me..

EDIT. definitely think they're a teacher based on a previous post

Quote from: chopinlover01 on 11 October 2016, 18:27:58

Here, he is a conservatory student, looking for a concerto for himself.
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=62242.msg666166#msg666166

Offline elis_piano

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 07:21:32 PM
Are you a teacher?

Hey! I am a student and I just ask for opinions.. This not means that I am not guided by my teacher..  Thank you all for your answers!!

Offline debussychopin

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 11:43:52 PM
Depends.
If you actually play that repertoire
Then get into some beethoven sonatas quickly.

If you play them like mundane oatmeal without any real crispness or articulation
Then go back to those pieces and dive in deeper.
L'Isle Joyeuse

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 12:20:37 AM
Most of the Hungarian Rhapsodies are probably approachable. Also, some of the easier etudes (Un Sospiro, etc) are fairly doable. I'm doing Un Sospiro right now, and your student sounds about my level, so it sounds like a decent pairing/

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 12:56:26 PM
If yoy are going to look at rhapsodoes, do dig into enescu. So much character in his works

Offline elis_piano

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 08:07:13 PM
Depends.
If you actually play that repertoire
Then get into some beethoven sonatas quickly.

If you play them like mundane oatmeal without any real crispness or articulation
Then go back to those pieces and dive in deeper.

I already play many Beethoven sonatas. Also, I have mastered those pieces. Thank you for your answer!

Offline elis_piano

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 08:10:27 PM
Most of the Hungarian Rhapsodies are probably approachable. Also, some of the easier etudes (Un Sospiro, etc) are fairly doable. I'm doing Un Sospiro right now, and your student sounds about my level, so it sounds like a decent pairing/

Ok, I'll give it a try! Thank you!

Offline debussychopin

Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 03:04:35 AM
You have mastered them. Better than the Juilliard piano performance professor we have at my school. She plays several beethoven sonatas beautifully but has never admitted to even having mastered them.

Kudos and applause to you.
L'Isle Joyeuse

Offline elis_piano

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 08:36:16 PM
You have mastered them. Better than the Juilliard piano performance professor we have at my school. She plays several beethoven sonatas beautifully but has never admitted to even having mastered them.

Kudos and applause to you.

Haha it's a phrase.. Stay cool!! I never said I am something special!! I told this 'cause you "asked" how I play them.. I told this to give you an idea of how i play them.. Also, as you can see i am not a native speaker, so maybe I use some words in a wrong way..
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert