Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Looking for Piano Instructor  (Read 1467 times)

Offline didi100

Looking for Piano Instructor
on: May 22, 2016, 02:13:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a teacher for advanced students in the Washington, DC/northern VA area.
I'm looking an instructor who has good conservatory background, preferably someone who still performs and has a unique teaching style, like Josh Wright, but I don't really want to Skype my lessons.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for Piano Instructor
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:06 AM
I clicked on the thread and see no answers so far, but I also saw this in another thread of yours:
I have now started with an instructor who is very strict about counting even making me play each hand separately, but I think this discipline will be very helpful for me to advance to the next level.
Does that mean that the problem is solved, that you did find a teacher?

Offline kriatina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:02:26 AM
Hello didi,
As a complete adult-beginner I was - unfortunately -  unsuccessful to find a piano-teacher who could teach me to read music and play the piano, especially as I have no links to the piano-world whatsoever. At first it was very frustrating and almost "put me off". But then I decided to start learning from scratch all on my own and I finally succeeded. It was very hard to start off with to learn without guidance all on my own, but it was possible all the same. My greatest success finally came along, when I was able to read a new score and play the piano at the same time... slowly ... but surely... and that is what it is all about!
I wish you all the best and good luck from Kristina.
Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
-Robert Schumann -

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:57:50 AM
adult beginners (like myself) who are not attached to the familiar melodic/harmonic material in bach and simplified mozart, haydn, clementi et. al. should consider Bartok.  his mikrokosmos series is progressive from vol. 1-4, and he composed extensively for children as the national director of piano pedagogy in Hungary before emigrating to the u.s.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert