Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: ideas on job pay/perk negotating?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
ideas on job pay/perk negotating?
on: May 25, 2016, 10:35:18 PM
Except this is the situation -- You know you've got the job.

So if it's a situation where you know the job is yours, how do you max that out?  That's what I'm wondering about.  Do you have any ideas?

If the job is yours, the next step is that you're offered the job.

Initially, taking it right away might be the impulse.  Offered job beats current job.  This is within the same place -- Same job, different job role with the place though.  More of a description change.  So don't worry about any dilemmas about comparing two jobs.  The job, the place, everything stays the same.

So after the job is offered, I'm thinking, "Why not max it out, ask for more?"  There's more possible I would think.  Usually for job offers, what the place offers you is not the most it could be... You just have to ask.  That's what I'm wondering about.

What are the "rules?"  What do I ask for?  How do I ask for that?

I've read and studied up on it a bit over the years.  I'm wondering what people here might think.

Any ideas?

Very generally, this what I've got so far...
You ask.  You don't take the first offer.  And you definitely ask because it affects future things, like a percentage raise.  Ask now, or you get less later.
Focus on salary first.  Until that won't budge.
Then focus on perks, like vacation days, comp time, etc.
Keep everything a bit vague, non-committal for sure, positive ("Thanks.  But...")  Don't reply back right away.  Don't ask for an update from the other side too quick.  The job is yours (esp in this case) so there's no urgency on your end.  Waiting will make the other side ponder and possibly sweat a bit... and then they'll up their offer.

Any ideas, sites, resources, etc.?  I guess this post is worth money to me.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."