Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Too brilliant ?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Too brilliant ?
on: June 04, 2016, 08:54:02 AM
What is likely to be the cause of certain notes beginning to stand out as overly bright, ringing and metallic ? Heavy use ? Temperature ? At the moment it just lends a bit of character, but I am not sure I want it to go on indefinitely or spread to other notes. I mentioned it to my tuner last year and he said he couldn't do much about it, but I am wondering if this is really correct, or if the solution is practical but just difficult. The piano is a 1971 Weinbach, rebuilt in 2005. I give my piano a hell of a thrashing but from a tuning aspect it is exceptionally stable. So what is the story with this metallic ringing in two or three notes ? It isn't my ear and it isn't, as far as I can tell, a resonant frequency outside the piano itself.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Too brilliant ?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:58:20 AM
If your tuner can't voice those hammers down/make it more mellow, then someone else should be able to.  It used to be part of a tuning once upon a time. Today some tuners make a big deal out of it. it's one thing if the whole piano needed voicing , it's another if it's just a few notes. Granted you do need to know what you are doing ( basically you voice off the shoulders of the hammers not on the face other than a quick sanding). If your tuner doesn't know what he is doing then get another tuner.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Too brilliant ?
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:06:18 AM
Okay, thanks for that.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert