Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Quest to Complete Chopin Etudes - op 25 no 1  (Read 2157 times)

Offline ahoffmann

Quest to Complete Chopin Etudes - op 25 no 1
on: June 04, 2016, 06:17:52 PM
I changed the camera angle so you can see my hands better. 
It's nice to do one of the beautiful etudes for a change.
Still hoping to inspire more people to join me with this quest. I can't exaggerate how rewarding it is. Since I've started it, I improved more than in 4 years of college.

Offline briansaddleback

Re: Quest to Complete Chopin Etudes - op 25 no 1
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:23:22 PM
They didn't make you do the etudes in college?

Well done man! Beautifully played.

Although I believe all the other etudes are just as beautiful in their own right. This one is conventionally beautiful as an etude yes.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline ahoffmann

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 07:42:01 PM
They didn't make you do the etudes in college?

Well done man! Beautifully played.

Thx :)
I did only two or three at college. The only etudes they "made" us do was to pick any two so I picked Debussy and the Revolutionary. In hindsight I should have spent more time doing these.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:13:11 AM
Which debussy did you do? I love the accords no 10 one.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline ahoffmann

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 05:18:05 AM
Which debussy did you do? I love the accords no 10 one.

I did the arpeggio etude. I thought the chords was the last one? I'd never have done that in an exam. But it's a fantastic piece. Love all the debussy etudes actually. Might be a nice follow up quest. Unlike Chopin, they're more like etudes for the composer than the performer.

Offline josh93248

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 12:32:01 PM
Very good work, I think your etudes are improving as you go.

I remember working on this a while ago (I abandoned it for reasons...) but being told to make these idiotic exaggerated circular motions with my arms that made me feel like I was flapping like a bird. I've left that teacher ages ago, only had a couple lessons, he was a good keyboardist I think DESPITE a lot of his ideas of how to play.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline ahoffmann

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 02:56:57 PM
Very good work, I think your etudes are improving as you go.

... but being told to make these idiotic exaggerated circular motions with my arms that made me feel like I was flapping like a bird. I've left that teacher ages ago, only had a couple lessons, he was a good keyboardist I think DESPITE a lot of his ideas of how to play.

Thx. Yes these etudes massively improved my playing and my feeling able to play. After finishing one, and moving on, very soon I feel I could do the previous one better. It's tempting to go back and revise but then I'll literally never get to the end.

I actually started off doing quite a lot of arm movements. And this piece does need some of that. But lately I moved away from it slightly - not consciously though. It was more just a natural progression. It's not the hardest etude but it's definitely more difficult than its reputation will have one believe.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 02:16:46 AM
As always very NICE ahoffmann! I liked the relaxed way you played it and your technical ease which is admirable. At 0.52 and 0.58 there is beautiful voice in the LH that is worth bringing out.
I also did the exaggerated arm movements which get gradually minimized as speed is increasing.
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline ahoffmann

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 04:43:04 PM
Thanks kaway_cs  :)

I know some people like to emphasize that middle voice. I prefer to not emphasize it. It's just a question of taste I think.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert