Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin etudes: op25 no2 and op25 no10  (Read 3729 times)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Chopin etudes: op25 no2 and op25 no10
on: January 03, 2005, 10:30:37 AM
Hi everybody,

op25,#2:
I think that the piece must be played in a 4/4 form, so the triols (or whatever) in the right hand are the dominant rithmic. Is this true? Ive never heard a recording where you can really hear its played by 4/4, instead of 6/8.
And when the piece -is- supposed to be played in 4/4, is it allowed to slightly accent the first note of every triol, so the rithmic comes clear?

op25,#10:
For me the crazy part is not very difficult to play because i can reach 11th quite easy. But the problem is the middle (lovely) part. I do not know how anybody is able to play the octaves without the pedal because the thumb has to do all the jumping to the next octaves.
Am i supposed to play every octave with the pedal?

Thanks, Gyzzzmo.

(sorry if this topic has been treated before).
(sorry for my english, im dutch)
1+1=11

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin etudes: op25 no2 and op25 no10
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 07:17:44 PM
op25,#2:
I think that the piece must be played in a 4/4 form, so the triols (or whatever) in the right hand are the dominant rithmic. Is this true? Ive never heard a recording where you can really hear its played by 4/4, instead of 6/8.
And when the piece -is- supposed to be played in 4/4, is it allowed to slightly accent the first note of every triol, so the rithmic comes clear?
it should be played in 2/2 (alla breve), and i don't think an accent on the 1st note of each triolet would be appropriated.

op25,#10:
For me the crazy part is not very difficult to play because i can reach 11th quite easy. But the problem is the middle (lovely) part. I do not know how anybody is able to play the octaves without the pedal because the thumb has to do all the jumping to the next octaves.
Am i supposed to play every octave with the pedal?
i know what you mean - it should be called not "an octave etude" but "a legato octaves etude". i used pedal, but only for legato & sound (armonics) purpose.

best luck

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 07:37:41 PM
Hi Anda,

op25#2
when the piece is supposed to be played in 2/2, then whats the difficulty of this piece?
Have you ever tried to play it in 4/4? Its really fun and you have the idea its an etude.

op25#10
If i understand you correctly, you use a short pedal on -every- octave?

Thanks for the reply,
Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:02:27 PM
op25#2
when the piece is supposed to be played in 2/2, then whats the difficulty of this piece?
Have you ever tried to play it in 4/4? Its really fun and you have the idea its an etude.
have you tried to play this in tempo, no accents, and still have it feel like 4/4 and not 2/2? if you can, post me the recording and tell me how you've done it.

op25#10
If i understand you correctly, you use a short pedal on -every- octave?

i don't know what it's called in english (we call this "legato pedal" or "contratimpus pedale"). anyway, the basic idea is: down on the 1st sound, up with the 2nd and down again immediately, and so on.

i hope you can understand this (poor english, sorry)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 08:24:24 PM
op25no2:

I admit its probably not possible to play it 4/4 when you play it legato and exactly following the legato bows. But i noticed there are almost 24,512 versions of each etude and i'm really trying to understand what chopin wanted to reach with this piece. In my opinion its far too easy to play it in 2/2.
The only thing i can come up with is that goal of chopin by writing this piece is trying to split up the players brains (you understand).

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 09:07:11 AM
Hi,

you really should try to play etude op25#2 in 4/4!! Maybe with little accents on some places to emphasize 4/4.
Have fun and experience an etude!

Gyzzzmo
1+1=11
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert