Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano sonata - anyone played it?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline kennedy4

Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Rachmaninoff's second piano sonata op. 36? (1931 revision)

I'm thinking about playing it as part of my 30 minute recital in June 2017.
My teacher thinks I am able for it, but I personally am not confident that I can do it between now and June 2017.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on it.
Although, I'd prefer to hear from people who have thoroughly studied the work, any other helpful input is welcome.

Cheers
Brendan

Offline kennedy4

Re: Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano sonata - anyone played it?
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:30:14 PM
Anybody?

Offline marijn1999

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:47:12 PM
Hi,

I played the first and second movement before dropping the piece completely as I wasn't satisfied with the initial results. I remember having a REALLY hard time with the polyrhythms in the first movements and also with accuracy in hitting the chords and thirds in the triplet figures.

As for the rest, I'm sorry but I feel like I'm not knowledgeable enough to advice you for this particular piece. Don't practice slow, for me the outcome was horrible. Instead keep practicing hitting the right chords on full speed right from the beginning.

Hope that helps!

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline ansgarpiano

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:26 PM
Hey Brendan

I did not do his 2nd sonata, but his 2nd piano concerto. Started around christmas 2015 have two recitals march 2017 so still working on it. I imagine the two are more or less similair as far as construction and difficulty.

1 year might be on the short side, and you have to really burn for it. My 15 months seems to be just right after tons of lessons with my two teachers.

Best of luck let me hear how it goes and if you take the challenge

- And if it is a 30 min recital you will not have time for anything else. I think it even lasts a little longer normally depending on your choices of tempo

- Ansgarpiano
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert