Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn Variations sérieuses op. 54  (Read 1860 times)

Offline basti27

Mendelssohn Variations sérieuses op. 54
on: June 18, 2016, 01:16:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a 18 year old amateur pianist from Germany who is just finishing school. Unfortunately, I currently have no piano teacher and therefore would like to hear your opinion und tips on my Variations sérieuses op. 54 of Mendelssohn. This was recorded at a school event a few weeks ago. I was quite nervous, as you probably can hear :D

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn Variations sérieuses op. 54
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:19 PM
You give the Variations a lot of character, and I think this piece easily comes out dull, despite what I have thought to be an excellent work by Mendelssohn.  The fifth variation I liked especially, and you really get moving in your expression at that point in the piece.

Welcome to the forum. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline basti27

Re: Mendelssohn Variations sérieuses op. 54
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:17:44 PM
Hi goldentone,

thank you so much for your reply! I'm still struggling with the complexity of the piece but just couldn't resist to give it a try  :)
Surprisingly, I had always felt most uncomfortable with the fifth variation, not knowing what to do with it, but probably that made me practice this one even more.
Indeed, I find it especially difficult to not make it sound boring and monotone.

Greetings!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert