Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: My performance of Chopin's nocturne Op9 No.2 and Liszt's Liebestraum  (Read 2356 times)

Offline piano_wiz

I have been practicing piano for almost 3 years. I mostly learn by myself, and sometimes get advice from a friend of mine. Below are 2 videos I made from my recent performance at home. I'm looking forward to getting advice from you.

Sorry for the mistakes :P. Please leave comments. :)

(Chopin's Nocturne Op9 No.2)
(Liszt's Liebestraum No.3)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
How old are you? I think you should get a teacher, because I think you're really talented man. Your liszt was wonderfully played!

Your tempo is a bit wobbly wobbly, I can't tell if you were intentionally using rubato or not..? Oh and you really need to work on your left arpeggios, I don't think you'e playing them correctly and to me it looks like your hand is straining itself (correct me if I'm wrong though!)

But anyways I think it's some fine work (only listened to the Liszt cause I hate the Chopin) especially since you're self-taught! Found me another self-taught comrade!~

Offline pjjslp

Very nice playing! Perhaps a bit more rubato and dynamic variation in the Chopin. Granted, I did not listen to the entire piece because I'm still tired of it after playing it myself 30 years ago. Do you find that you get fatigued when you play for awhile? The position of your wrists and hands looks very tense. I am not a teacher, just a happy amateur, but your playing may benefit from a more relaxed position.

Agree with mjames that you should find a teacher if you can. That is really very good for 3 years of learning on your own!

Offline piano_wiz

How old are you? I think you should get a teacher, because I think you're really talented man. Your liszt was wonderfully played!

Your tempo is a bit wobbly wobbly, I can't tell if you were intentionally using rubato or not..? Oh and you really need to work on your left arpeggios, I don't think you'e playing them correctly and to me it looks like your hand is straining itself (correct me if I'm wrong though!)

But anyways I think it's some fine work (only listened to the Liszt cause I hate the Chopin) especially since you're self-taught! Found me another self-taught comrade!~

Thanks for your compliments! I didn't expect that. I'm almost 27. I'm such a late beginner. I'm sorry to say that I have limited time on practice, needless to say I couldn't afford a teacher or a formal course.

I did intentionally add rubato in some phrases by imitation of some maestro's recordings plus my own understanding. Hope my interpretation was not awkward. But I also admit that some unevenness and wrong notes was caused by my disadvantageous left hand, on which I have been paying much more attention.

Thanks again for your comments. It encourages me a lot! I'm now more confident to improve in the future.

By the way, I'm just curious about why you hate Chopin. ("Hate" is a big word to me). Both Liszt and Chopin were composers of romantic pieces. To my knowledge, aside from their own personal styles, they share many similarities in  their music. Tell me your thoughts about them.

Offline piano_wiz

Very nice playing! Perhaps a bit more rubato and dynamic variation in the Chopin. Granted, I did not listen to the entire piece because I'm still tired of it after playing it myself 30 years ago. Do you find that you get fatigued when you play for awhile? The position of your wrists and hands looks very tense. I am not a teacher, just a happy amateur, but your playing may benefit from a more relaxed position.

Agree with mjames that you should find a teacher if you can. That is really very good for 3 years of learning on your own!

You're so right about my tense shown in my both hands, though my thin hands did contribute some tense look :P. I'm also a happy amateur without professional training. I'm working on how to relax and hope to see improvement soon. Thanks again!

Offline pjjslp

By the way, I'm just curious about why you hate Chopin. ("Hate" is a big word to me). Both Liszt and Chopin were composers of romantic pieces. To my knowledge, aside from their own personal styles, they share many similarities in  their music. Tell me your thoughts about them.

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but I suspect he meant he hates that particular Chopin nocturne, not Chopin in general. It's a lovely piece that has unfortunately been played to death.

Offline piano_wiz

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but I suspect he meant he hates that particular Chopin nocturne, not Chopin in general. It's a lovely piece that has unfortunately been played to death.

Oh, I'm sorry about that. If it's true, I just terribly ruined that beautiful nocturne. I'll do my best to improve. Sorry, Chopin, and those who love his music.  :'(

Offline pjjslp

Oh, I'm sorry about that. If it's true, I just terribly ruined that beautiful nocturne. I'll do my best to improve. Sorry, Chopin, and those who love his music.  :'(

Never apologize for playing what you love! I really thought your playing was quite nice, it's just the piece of music itself that I personally am tired of hearing. Play the music that speaks to you, regardless of what others say! My playing time is limited and I tend to spend it playing very mainstream, overplayed pieces because that's what I like.  :D No one has to hear me but my family.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
What he said, play what you want to play. There are a few users I respect who dislike Chopin but that doesn't stop me from playing him. ;P

Are you planning on playing any other nocturnes?

Offline piano_wiz

Never apologize for playing what you love! I really thought your playing was quite nice, it's just the piece of music itself that I personally am tired of hearing. Play the music that speaks to you, regardless of what others say! My playing time is limited and I tend to spend it playing very mainstream, overplayed pieces because that's what I like.  :D No one has to hear me but my family.

Thank you very much! We have another thing in common--"No one has to hear me but my family". Play what I want to play is the motivation that push me forward. I'm glad that many share this view!

Offline piano_wiz

What he said, play what you want to play. There are a few users I respect who dislike Chopin but that doesn't stop me from playing him. ;P

Are you planning on playing any other nocturnes?

For now, Op9 No2 is the only Chopin nocturne I can play. Actually, I'm planning on learning Op9 No1 and 3, but I'm now working on Chopin's Op66 (the famous Fantasie Impromptu) and Beethoven's Pathetique sonata 3rd movement. With slow progress, I can only handle a few pieces at the same time. I hope one day I can manage to play the other 2 Chopin nocturnes of Op9, 'cause I love them all. ;D

Offline pjjslp

For now, Op9 No2 is the only Chopin nocturne I can play. Actually, I'm planning on learning Op9 No1 and 3, but I'm now working on Chopin's Op66 (the famous Fantasie Impromptu) and Beethoven's Pathetique sonata 3rd movement. With slow progress, I can only handle a few pieces at the same time. I hope one day I can manage to play the other 2 Chopin nocturnes of Op9, 'cause I love them all. ;D

What a coincidence! I'm currently working on the Pathetique as well (complete). I played the first two movements in high school and am relearning them along with the third. How are you finding the third movement? It looked pretty straightforward at first look but it's been unexpectedly challenging for me!

Offline piano_wiz

What a coincidence! I'm currently working on the Pathetique as well (complete). I played the first two movements in high school and am relearning them along with the third. How are you finding the third movement? It looked pretty straightforward at first look but it's been unexpectedly challenging for me!

Impressive! I dare not touch the first movement for now, for it's left hand tremelos are so daunting. I pick the 3rd movement because I love this sonata and once heard it played by a classmate in a high school performance. Back then, I thought "Would I one day can play it, too? If so, that would be so wonderful!". Now, I'm challenging myself to realize the thought. Let's work hard together, comrade!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert