Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven - Fur Elise  (Read 3149 times)

Offline whitewing95

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven - Fur Elise
on: July 05, 2016, 06:59:09 PM
Hi this is my first post here at this site ;D
I am a self taught pianist I had no music teacher or music lessons (except some videos no youtube).There is no one here in my country that teaches piano or music so I had to learn everything by myself, which made me worried about my way of learning piano and the way I play. also there is no one I know who knows about music so that I can ask him/her about my performance,my family and friends says that I play well but they are not musicians. So this site is my only way to know whether I am good or bad at this.
also I must say that I am practicing piano for a year and a half and the pieces I learned so far :

Chopin - prelude in e minor
Bach - Prelude in C major
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Nocturne op.9 no.2
Beethoven - Moonlight sonata 1st movement

other thing I'd like to say is that I don't learn by sheet music or by ear.. I only need to know the sequence of the notes and hear some record multiple times.. eventually I learn to play it.
please give me your honest opinion regarding my record of Fur Elise any advice will be appreciated.
on a scale of one (very bad) to 10(perfect) how good do you think it is
note: I am playing using a keyboard (Casio WK-6600)
Thank you.

Offline whitewing95

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven - Fur Elise
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:50:41 AM
33 people listened to the record but no one replied.
I don't want an expert or something
Whoever you are "if you play piano" just say what you think.. if its bad say its bad
If its good say its good
Seriously I'm cool with it :)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:04:58 AM
Articulation is very important, it provides flavor. So in the more technical parts try to practice them separately without pedal. You should be able to connect your phrases without the pedal, at least for this piece.
Go ahead and learn to read music, not because your playing is bad, but because if you intend on going further in classical music then it'll greatly benefit you. In fact, not learning will be a handicap for your...a big one. Besides it's not hard, it's very easy to learn, just requires practice. :)

But yeah, you did it! It's not bad, okay actually. I've heard a lot of self-taught musicians butcher this piece XD
There's a really good thread about teachers who provide lessons through skype, you should check it out. :)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 06:25:48 AM
I'm not a teacher, but I'd be happy to do some mini masterclasses with OP through Skype.
If you'd like some examples of my playing to compare to, I have a couple recordings here in the audition room.

Offline whitewing95

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 01:05:01 AM
Thank you mjames for your reply I will try practicing what you told me and maybe give music reading a shot . I'm glad you think that my recording was okay  :) .
chopinlover01 I'll check your recordings thank you :) .

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:28:40 AM
Hi whitewing,

I'd be happy to help you, however, I can't listen to your recording. :(

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:19:40 AM
@109natsu; it's likely because it's a stereo only recording. If your headphones, like mine, only play out of one ear, it's likely that the broken ear would be the one to play the sound you want.
In my case, that was the case, and I had to use a pair of earbuds on my phone to listen.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert