Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Earphone Suggestions for Classical Listening. (Please Bear with me)  (Read 1469 times)

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
I know this is quite a foolish question. Please be kind.

I recently broke my samsung earphones, I was wondering if there is an earphone/headset any of you would suggest that has volume controls and is good for listening to classical music. Both for IOS and Android.

I've had a hard time listening to nocturnes with my previous headset(Though, I know soft is soft, but, when you can't hear it, It's a different story).
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
What is your budget?  Earbuds or headphones?  Where will you be using them?  Serious listening, studio use, something to use while commuting, during a workout etc.  Do you need to use them with a digital piano?

What do you like about your current set?  What do you not like about them?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Preferably outdoor use/travelling. Earphones. Budget, I can probably splurge a little, about the same price as an original iphone earpods maybe?

And no, I use a cheap digital headset for my digital piano and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. :D

My current set is an original iphone earpods, since my iphone 4 is not working anymore, I sold it.
The bass is nice, but when it gets to softer parts of the music. (e.g ashkenazy's nocturne 55 no. 1).
even when I ramp up the volume, I can't hear it. (Outdoor use)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Jvc marshmallow. Best budget buds made. Pretty much all i use

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
You might want to look at a noise cancelling set if you use them outdoors a lot. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Jvc marshmallow. Best budget buds made. Pretty much all i use

I have used on of those. And you're right, they're pretty loud, but AFAIK, those doesn't have volume controls.

You might want to look at a noise cancelling set if you use them outdoors a lot. 

Aren't earbuds the ones with the noise cancellation? I find it irritating to wedge the whole earbud inside your ear canal, sometimes it hurts.

Thank you for the opinion guys. I wonder if some members have an Idea.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
I have a pair of mid-level Koss I paid $40 for that sound really good.  They cover the ear with rubber seal, and attenuate outside sound 10 db or so.  With volume control mcmelectronics is selling some Koss for $30, PN 35-10240.  
Earbuds won't stay in my ear.  
I bought some mcm house brand earphones with the rubber seal, for $8 and they had too much bass and not enough treble.  
I find the $2 lightweight mcm earphones with foam pads that don't attenuate external sound, to be pretty good sounding.  I won't wear sound attenuating phones when out in traffic.  The 6' cord is necessary in my opinion, 4' is too short.  
BTW I test sound equipment with piano CD's or LP's,  If it doesn't sound like the Steinway in my music room, speakers/phones are ****.  Of course recordings made with Steinway grands have more bass than my 40" console, but the mid and treble should be similar. Headphones frequently pass (not the Radio Shack ones).    No speaker comes close until I found a pair of Peavey SP2-XT for only $600. 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Noise cancelling comes in both headphones and earbuds.  Not all earbuds are noise cancelling. 

So it sounds like you prefer over the ear headphones, correct?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Preferably outdoor use/travelling. Earphones. Budget, I can probably splurge a little, about the same price as an original iphone earpods maybe?

And no, I use a cheap digital headset for my digital piano and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. :D

My current set is an original iphone earpods, since my iphone 4 is not working anymore, I sold it.
The bass is nice, but when it gets to softer parts of the music. (e.g ashkenazy's nocturne 55 no. 1).
even when I ramp up the volume, I can't hear it. (Outdoor use)
Some.have a microphone and volume control and some dont. I have used high end and compared to the jvc, the others were rubbish. Quite surprised how good they are ,i usually get them for just a few bucks in ebay

Note the main super advantage to the marshmallow line is comfort and noise isolation from the super soft molding memory type foam.  Do not confuse them w the rubber jvc gummi, which are soso ok but no where near as great as marshmallow

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
So it sounds like you prefer over the ear headphones, correct?

Oh no. Definitely not, I like them portable(e.g can fit in pocket)

Note the main super advantage to the marshmallow line is comfort and noise isolation from the super soft molding memory type foam.  Do not confuse them w the rubber jvc gummi, which are soso ok but no where near as great as marshmallow

Is the picture the jvc marshmallow? I should've googled it before replying. It sounds and looks very promising.

I have a pair of mid-level Koss I paid $40 for that sound really good.

Earbuds won't stay in my ear. 

Thank you mr. Indianajo. But I dislike headphones like that. Maybe for home use it'll suffice. Great suggestion though. Since you picked this meticulously for the sound, I assume it'll also work well with digital pianos?

And yes, also my problem, earbuds won't stay in my ear. No matter how hard I try to keep my ear free from ear wax, it seems to fall off one way or another.

Thank you all for suggestion, I'll try hunting for those items tomorrow. Goodluck to me!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
And yes, also my problem, earbuds won't stay in my ear. No matter how hard I try to keep my ear free from ear wax, it seems to fall off one way or another.

This is probably more a matter of finding buds that fit properly to your ear than wax. 

There are also buds made for exercise, they are supposed to stay in during strenuous activity. 

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
I use Sennheiser CX985 as in-ears.
They are probably way over budget for what you want, but:
They are superbly engineered and have a HARDWARE volume control, which is quite rare.
The jack has a hinge so you can angle the end at 90 degrees, making it great for use on latop or phone, pockets or desk.
The jack and volume are engineered from metal, not plastic so its very durable.
The bass is perhaps a bit high sometimes, they are superb and comfortable. I can wear them for 6-8 hours no problem. They also seal very well and are great on airplanes.

On the much cheaper side I used to enjoy CX300-II as well. But they do not have a volume control.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert