Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff/Wild - Vocalise  (Read 2190 times)

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff/Wild - Vocalise
on: July 15, 2016, 01:54:48 PM
Earl Wild's arrangement of Vocalise. As usual a work in progress. Not sure when I'll get around to memorizing this.

Enjoy!

Offline kawai_cs

Re: Rachmaninoff/Wild - Vocalise
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:51:10 PM
Loved your playing. Congratulations!
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 09:51:29 AM
Lovely arrangement (as one would expect from Earl Wild, with his Rachmaninoff affinity) and your playing was expressive and enjoyable. Excellent!
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:00:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed the arrangement - I think all of Wild's Rachmaninoff arrangements are fantastic. I plan on learning a few more of them.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:36 PM
Hi pianiststrongbad,

I enjoyed listening to your transcription.  Here at home I have several of these transcriptions by Wild. The largest group are transcriptions that began as Rachmaninoff's gorgeous songs, composed when he was a young man. Wild went through all of them to select the best "candidates".  So very skillfully Wild was able to mesh the singer's voice line with the piano accompanist part of those particular scores.  But it goes beyond that.  Wild also built virtuosity into these pieces making them all very effective--and difficult. So I admire your determination in playing these beautiful transcriptions. "Floods of Spring" and "In the Silent Night" would be great ones to learn.

Looking forward I hope we can hear more of these.  Thanks for sharing your video.

David   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 02:59:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback David. "Floods of Spring" is definitely on my TODO list, as is "Where Beauty Dwells". It is tough to pick which ones to learn, as all 14? of them are fantastic.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:34 PM
Hi,

I forgot to ask you which piano you play in your home.  It has a nice tone.  Wild, during most of his performing career, was a Baldwin Artist.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:28:34 PM
The piano is a 2013 Mason & Hamlin BB - glad you like it! I put the mic upstairs to try something new (the piano room is 18 ft tall and has direct line of sight to the upstairs). I haven't decided if I like the placement more or less than before, it does have a slightly different sound though.

If my memory is right, after performing on Baldwins, Wild performed on Shigeru Kawai's as well (though I'm not sure if I have any of his recordings on a Shigeru). The Rachmaninoff transcriptions cd I have of his indicates it was performed on a Baldwin. I think Bolet also performed extensively on Baldwins along with a few other artists.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:34 PM
Hi,

I forgot to ask you which piano you play in your home.  It has a nice tone.  Wild, during most of his performing career, was a Baldwin Artist.

David
lovely playing by op
David that piano is nice

love a good Baldwin sound. One of my favorite pianos are the sf10s . There is one on sale nearby on consignment that is from the end of the run from the Arkansas shop in mint condition. I wish I had space and funds, i could play that instrument for the next 40 years , never want for more and pass it on to the next gen

I'm glad Wild recorded w Baldwin.  Pianist collector iinstrument historian and host busiess man Robert Estrin is also a Baldwin guy, he has an sd10 as his personal piano. BTW  his channel living piano  tv on youtube us ggreat and i recommend  subscribing to him to all pianist that want to learn more about instruments more.

It's no wonder I am also so enamored w the SK pianos as well.  I have found a lot of people that like Baldwins also like sk's

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:34:08 PM
The piano is a 2013 Mason & Hamlin BB - glad you like it! I put the mic upstairs to try something new (the piano room is 18 ft tall and has direct line of sight to the upstairs). I haven't decided if I like the placement more or less than before, it does have a slightly different sound though.

If my memory is right, after performing on Baldwins, Wild performed on Shigeru Kawai's as well (though I'm not sure if I have any of his recordings on a Shigeru). The Rachmaninoff transcriptions cd I have of his indicates it was performed on a Baldwin. I think Bolet also performed extensively on Baldwins along with a few other artists.
I think it worked super well. I think in a larger room that sound developand opens up more , seems to round  out the initial strike or attack. Really quite nice.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert