Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Do you really need to take exams ?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline eliza1976

• PS Silver Member
Do you really need to take exams ?
on: July 18, 2016, 08:02:25 AM
Do you really need to take exams to ascertain your competency ? If you do not intend to take exams, are you missing out a lot of stuff ? I realise when I sign up for exams under a teacher, I get all motivated to go the extra miles to get prepared. But when I am not preparing for any exam, I tend to slack and just learn for leisure.

Offline kuska

Re: Do you really need to take exams ?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:52:54 PM
imo the only thing exams do is getting you trained in the stress. It's like any other public performance. You want to do well. Unless you need any kind of an official certificate.

Offline pianocat3

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:21:38 PM
My teacher seems to think exams may help performance so I may choose to do them.
Currently working on:

Beethoven Pastoral Sonata (Andante)
Debussy Prelude from Suite Bergamasque
Accompaniment music for cello and piano
Summer project is improvisation

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Depends on what your goals are.
To ascertain your competency? You can do that just as easily by performing for another teacher or posting a recording here on PS ;)
I realise when I sign up for exams under a teacher, I get all motivated to go the extra miles to get prepared. But when I am not preparing for any exam, I tend to slack and just learn for leisure.
This, IMO, is the biggest reason for exams. They give you motivation to do well, and if you don't have anything coming up, there's less of an incentive to practice. Not all of us can be AJ and practice 12 hours a day because we love it so much ;D

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:43:03 PM
Not all of us can be AJ and practice 12 hours a day because we love it so much ;D

I'm dying to play right now... I. WILL. NOT. GIVE IN!

Best,

AJ

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:56:58 PM
Exams are dumb

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:10:54 AM
Even though I don't take exams on piano... You should still do some performance/competitions. I go to summer piano academies in universities. I go to festivals hosted by the local Music Teacher Association. Play for friends, family, school, and other community opportunities. Have benefit recitals to raise money for whatever you need in your career.

Do you really need to take exams to ascertain your competency ? If you do not intend to take exams, are you missing out a lot of stuff ? I realise when I sign up for exams under a teacher, I get all motivated to go the extra miles to get prepared. But when I am not preparing for any exam, I tend to slack and just learn for leisure.
I find that to be true too, sometimes. Set a goal for yourself. (Ex. I will get this part 100% accurate in however many hours) Discipline is needed everywhere in life; not just piano.

Exams are dumb
^
No one should be grading your piano playing.

I'm dying to play right now... I. WILL. NOT. GIVE IN!
I am freaking traveling right now and I can't piano for five whole days!!!! I AM DYING. But I don't practice 12 hrs that's actually bad for you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert