Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: [Rental Pianos] Average prices?  (Read 3308 times)

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
[Rental Pianos] Average prices?
on: July 24, 2016, 02:01:41 AM
Hi, thank you for reading my first thread.

I am thinking of switching to a quality baby grand, however we figured out that it is cheaper to rent since we are moving in a couple of years.
I am going to the Steinway & Son's gallery some time soon, and I don't have a good idea of how much the rental pianos cost... What kind of pricing should I expect for a quality baby grand piano? (it doesn't have to be Steinway as long as it is a good Mason & Hamlin, Essex, Boston, or Kawai)
I am thinking around $80/month, but what can I get from that? And how should I approach them to get the best of the deals?

Any advice is appreciated :),

Natsu

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: [Rental Pianos] Average prices?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:15:19 PM
It will depend largely on your location I'm sure. I found pianorentals.com in southern California for instance. They rent Steinway, Steinway Family ( Boston etc), Kawai, Hallet and Davis and Yamaha. The Yamaha was in your price range at $88 per month. A 1 yo Kawai $159. Steinway was nearly $400.

Locally there is a place that rents with the option to buy. Another leases, they have short term rental or long term lease. Another place leases with option to buy. But all those adds said to call and did not list pricing.. All you can do is call around your area.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 02:19:25 PM
Hi hfmadopter,

Thank you for your response. I was hoping I could get a baby grand for the low price... but maybe not. I have connections with the Steinway Gallery, so I am probably going to rent for them.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:22:41 PM
Hi hfmadopter,

Thank you for your response. I was hoping I could get a baby grand for the low price... but maybe not. I have connections with the Steinway Gallery, so I am probably going to rent for them.

Those prices I quoted were all small grands, 109natsu. But yeah, if you can get the Steinway in your price range or close, go for it !!
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 02:30:45 PM
I was wondering if I could :) but I realized it is not that easy to get a Steinway Baby Grand for $80 per month. Thanks for info :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert