Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Yamaha P-95, Yamaha NP-30 or CASIO CDP-120 for a road trip?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline danam20

Hi all
New in this forum....
My 10 yrs old son plays the piano quite well. (for instance, he only plays for 2.5 years and for the final concert this July he played the whole Haydn Piano concerto no. 11).
We're planning a road trip for a month to the East coast this fall. While on the road, my son will have to keep practicing daily so I thought about buying digital piano for him.
Sןnce it will be only for this trip, I do not want to invest too much in it but I do want him to be able to play a decent keyboard for his Etudes and other staff.
I can buy the CASIO CDP-120 for 250$ ,  Yamaha NP-30 for 250$ or Yamaha P-95  for 375$. All used.
I looked over privious posts regarding this subject and those designs, but they all focused on other facilities those instruments have like USB, recording etc. I'm looking for an instrument that give the best immitation to the real keys (i.e weight, feel, size) if you know what I mean.
So, any suggestions?

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yamaha P-95, Yamaha NP-30 or CASIO CDP-120 for a road trip?
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:20:07 PM
To me, his real piano will still be there when he gets home and a month away, in the big scheme of things, might even do him good. None of those have particularly realistic action, to my knowledge they are spring rebound type actions. As such the touch is increasingly more resistant as the key is pressed, where top actions are not that way, nor acoustic actions. . Why not let him enjoy the road trip too ?
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline danam20

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:18:00 AM
Thanks for your reply.
Well,first of all, I think it won't hurt his enthusiasm and joy from the trip. On the contrary. Last time we spent 2 weeks in Europe without the piano and he got so depressed!
Second, he has a recital a month after we come back from our trip so the must practice.
For him it's something he can't do without so why not. We stop at hotels every night and have plenty of time to relaxe.

Offline huaidongxi

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 07:58:10 AM
can't help with portable digital keyboard stuff.  however, for our most recent two holidays, we were  able to find real pianos in vacation rentals, one with an almost new yamaha grand.  if you are visiting friends they might be able to find a piano for your kid to use, and some resorts or hotels have instruments in lobbies or lounges which could be negotiable.  of course if your itinerary is tight, the time flexibility factor excludes arranging practice sessions on someone else's piano, but your kid sounds like he's dedicated and would make good use of even 30-40 min. on a real piano.  what would leopold mozart do ?

Offline danam20

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:27 PM
 :D that's a very good question, those journeys were long and it took them weeks to do the way we do in hours now.
I didn't think about the option of a piano in the lobby, def will take it into account.
I think I'll buy him the casio, looks good and I found good reviews, hell make the most of it. Thanks again.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:40:33 AM
:D that's a very good question, those journeys were long and it took them weeks to do the way we do in hours now.
I didn't think about the option of a piano in the lobby, def will take it into account.
I think I'll buy him the casio, looks good and I found good reviews, hell make the most of it. Thanks again.

Wishing you well with that and have a great trip !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert