Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Yamaha GB 1 BIG Problem ( strings broken)  (Read 1593 times)

Offline aledozo

Yamaha GB 1 BIG Problem ( strings broken)
on: August 05, 2016, 08:07:34 PM
hello, my name is Alejandro From Argentina.
I bought yamaha Gb 1 ( New piano) on may 2015. 8 strings are broken
in the last four months ( very rare). I Called the guaranteed yamaha. They came and didnt see any problems in the piano so they are replacing broken strings but other strings are breaking ...
Yamaha dont want to replace all strings because dont want to change "healthy" strings...
They dont know whats the problem with the piano... And the piano only has one year.. I am very sad and worried because i have to wait that yamaha bring the strings and this takes more than a month.....
Some strings have rust near the hammer in one year , and the piano is in my house in a normal place.
In the same place I had an upright piano for 5 years and never broke a string
Sorry for my english and thank you

What should i do? I am an advanced student and need the piano to study. They offer to me a Yamaha Cp 40 while the strings are coming. But then the old "healthy" strings will get broken and i will have to wait 1 or 2 month more...

Offline huaidongxi

Re: Yamaha GB 1 BIG Problem ( strings broken)
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 08:40:18 PM
que lastima.  hope someone who understands how yamaha conducts their business (not me) will provide the information you need.  the company might leave warranty problems up to the dealer who sold you the piano.  there was probably a problem originating with how and when the strings themselves were fabricated, missed on quality control inspection, and/or when the factory put the strings into the piano.  if the company leaves the warranty up to the dealer to service, try to get the dealer to commit and tell you how many strings have to fail before he'll concede that most or all of them were faulty and need replacing.  can't tell from your message what level of the company hierarchy you've contacted, when you refer to 'Yamaha'.

my only buyer experience with a Yamaha was nearly forty years ago, a used small grand, but purchased from SF's biggest piano retailer at the time who backed up all of their sales with service, and even for my used piano sent a highly qualified tuner/tech to replace a string and retune the piano, no charge.  maybe a Yamaha dealer who uses this site can offer you advice.  you have a potential disaster if rust is apparent on all those strings already.  good luck.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:21:01 AM
This sounds highly unusual.  I concur with huaidongxi that this may potentially be a fabrication or manufacturing defect.  

As the situation seems greatly frustrating for a new instrument, have you considered approaching the dealer for an exchange of the instrument?  I would consider that, especially if I were depending on the instrument for serious practice.  

They offer to me a Yamaha Cp 40 while the strings are coming. But then the old "healthy" strings will get broken and i will have to wait 1 or 2 month more...

That would be good to use as leverage to insist on an exchange of your GB-1.  You didn't buy a new grand to spend months playing a digital, waiting for replacement strings with the uncertainty if the trend of breaking strings will continue.   You bought a grand to play a grand.  

Review your sales contract and see if there are any options you can pursue.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:59:08 AM
Very rare is surely the understatement of the week.  To break that many strings, that soon, something -- hard to say what, without a really serious examination -- is really wrong.

Where do the strings break? 

There is no such thing as a healthy string, by the way -- although there are such things as damaged strings.

How bad is the rust near the hammers?  Just surface?  Is it, by any chance, where the dampers rest?  If it is that, you really need some way to dehumidify the piano, if not the whole house, as the dampers may be holding moisture on the strings -- but that isn't going to solve the string problem.

I would try very hard to get Yamaha to replace the whole set of strings.
Ian

Offline aledozo

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 12:39:21 PM
The strings still break.
Overall the bass are breaking ( 8 for now)   but also I have two broken acute .
Several technicians came to see the piano and found nothing
I dont know what can i do Because  the lawyer to make a complaint requires to know what is the problem in the piano

Yamaha allegedly continue to change the strings but 3 months ago 'm hoping they arrive.
For them it's my fault because technicians find nothing
sorry my bad english.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 12:41:47 AM
Your English is fine -- much better than my Spanish would be.

Your piano isn't fine.  As to what is the problem with the piano?  The strings break.  Piano strings correctly manufactured and installed don't break that often ( one or two a decade, maybe -- 8 since new?  Uh... no.).  The only possibility which I can think of other than a manufacturing or possibly shipping problem is that you mentioned a good deal of corrosion, and as I mentioned earlier if the strings are breaking at locations with heavy corrosion, that could possibly suggest a problem with the environment the piano is in.
Ian
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert