Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Recording of La fille aux cheveux de lin  (Read 1722 times)

Offline clarinetist

• PS Silver Member
Recording of La fille aux cheveux de lin
on: August 14, 2016, 11:02:33 PM
Hi, I'm Mr. "are scales really useful?"

Here's a recording of La fille aux cheveux de lin I made today. I suck at doing things under pressure, so it's not as good as I could get it to be, but I'm up for hearing any constructive criticism I get from this.

My background on piano: did class piano 6 years ago and did 2 semesters worth of lessons. Went on a 4-year hiatus, and bought a nice Kawai digital keyboard in June, and I've done lessons since then. I learned this piece in around July; it took me about two weeks to get the notes down.

The recording is the Kawai plugged into Pianoteq Standard.

Offline pjjslp

Re: Recording of La fille aux cheveux de lin
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:19:28 PM
Nice work! I love this piece. Just a couple of small things. I think I heard a wrong note in the left hand around measure 24, 25, or 26, but I can't go back and listen again because the player is acting strange on my iPad right now. Also, I prefer a little more pedal clearing, but that's just a personal preference. Overall, a lovely performance!

Offline pjjslp

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 04:20:18 PM
P.S. I suck under pressure as well, and it surprises me how nervous I get trying to record myself playing!

Offline louispodesta

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:53:28 PM
Hi, I'm Mr. "are scales really useful?"

Here's a recording of La fille aux cheveux de lin I made today. I suck at doing things under pressure, so it's not as good as I could get it to be, but I'm up for hearing any constructive criticism I get from this.

My background on piano: did class piano 6 years ago and did 2 semesters worth of lessons. Went on a 4-year hiatus, and bought a nice Kawai digital keyboard in June, and I've done lessons since then. I learned this piece in around July; it took me about two weeks to get the notes down.

The recording is the Kawai plugged into Pianoteq Standard.
1)  As referenced by my recent post on your other post, I am definitely not surprised by your rendering of this particular work.  On point, in that I have played this piece every day since 1971, I know a little bit about it.

2)  First, your rendering is strictly metronomic.  Is that not somewhat of a contradiction in terms because Debussy never posted a metronome marking on any piece he ever composed (Durant?).

However, it is important to note that (above the line), he left specific instructions as to how the tempo should be followed.  These were expressed by:  "Cedez, Au Movement, etc."

3)  Therefore, you should research/discover, per my video (along with other sources), that tempo modification (even with the Impressionists) was part and parcel of the "original performance practice" of the day

4)  THAT DOES NOT MEAN that one should play the music of this composer in a Romantic Period style.  Debussy used to go nuts when he was in the audience and a particular performer did so.  However, practically every performer today does the same exact thing!

5)  Finally, you are what most true pedagogues would describe as a great student.  That means you are not afraid to expose yourself to criticism in furtherance of your goal.

My congratulations to you, accordingly.  And as usual for no fee, please contact me by PM if you desire further guidance/inquiry.

Offline clarinetist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:03:05 AM
2)  First, your rendering is strictly metronomic.  Is that not somewhat of a contradiction in terms because Debussy never posted a metronome marking on any piece he ever composed (Durant?).

However, it is important to note that (above the line), he left specific instructions as to how the tempo should be followed.  These were expressed by:  "Cedez, Au Movement, etc."

3)  Therefore, you should research/discover, per my video (along with other sources), that tempo modification (even with the Impressionists) was part and parcel of the "original performance practice" of the day

4)  THAT DOES NOT MEAN that one should play the music of this composer in a Romantic Period style.  Debussy used to go nuts when he was in the audience and a particular performer did so.  However, practically every performer today does the same exact thing!

5)  Finally, you are what most true pedagogues would describe as a great student.  That means you are not afraid to expose yourself to criticism in furtherance of your goal.

My congratulations to you, accordingly.  And as usual for no fee, please contact me by PM if you desire further guidance/inquiry.

Thank you, and the lack of tempo marking is news to me! O_O My edition has q = 66 (I think my recording is slightly slower). I'm thinking I'm going to get my hands on the Henle edition for the Preludes, what do you think?

I agree that my recording's too metronomic... I'll have to pay better attention to those markings.

I'm watching the video you've sent me now.

Offline dogperson

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:14:03 AM
I have found that the following link provides useful information about Debussy and metronome and rubato

https://www.djupdal.org/karstein/debussy/method/m06.shtml 

There are other links on the right hand side of the page you might want to read re. Interpretation,  dynamics, color etc. 

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert