Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Question about chopin's waltz in a minor pedaling  (Read 6110 times)

Offline vykintazo

Question about chopin's waltz in a minor pedaling
on: August 18, 2016, 07:55:05 PM
So I'm pretty beginner at piano and I'm now learning waltz in a minor, and I'm a bit confused abaut it's pedaling. There's the pedaling in my edition:

The problem is that the third beat (that one after releasing pedal) sounds bit out of legato but in all recordings thats not the case. Maybe I read those markings incorectly (maybe I need to release pedal after, not with *)?
Anybody who have played this piece could suggest better pedaling?

Thanks

Offline marijn1999

Re: Question about chopin's waltz in a minor pedaling
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:51:49 PM
Link doesn't work for me!
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:13:38 PM
Hi vykintazo,

You mean this waltz?
https://imslp.org/wiki/Waltz_in_A_minor,_B.150_(Chopin,_Frédéric)

That is fantastic! When I was ten, I thought it was the most difficult piece in existence, because of the jumps. Good luck :)

Please get link to be working... There is no way we can help you without links :(

Natsu

Offline vykintazo

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:13:50 PM
Yes, thats my waltz. Reuploaded tge image, now seems working.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 05:54:46 PM
Score indications of pedaling are not really set  in stone.  A performer will adjust pedaling to suit the instrument and acoustic.  One of the exceptions is when a composer wants a specific special effect with the pedal, but that is not the case here. 

The pedaling indicated in your edition gives emphasis on the 1st beat in the bar, which brings out the waltz character of the piece.  If you are finding beats 2 and 3 too dry on your piano with these markings, you can try fractional pedaling: that is don't push the damper pedal all the way down, only depress part way.  Full pedal on beat 1, fractional pedal on beats 2 and 3.  Use your ears to guide you. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline 109natsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 12:19:36 AM
Score indications of pedaling are not really set  in stone.  A performer will adjust pedaling to suit the instrument and acoustic.  One of the exceptions is when a composer wants a specific special effect with the pedal, but that is not the case here. 

The pedaling indicated in your edition gives emphasis on the 1st beat in the bar, which brings out the waltz character of the piece.  If you are finding beats 2 and 3 too dry on your piano with these markings, you can try fractional pedaling: that is don't push the damper pedal all the way down, only depress part way.  Full pedal on beat 1, fractional pedal on beats 2 and 3.  Use your ears to guide you. 

Yep, that sounds legit, and that is what I did. As long as it's not too muddy or dry, it's okay :)

Happy Practicing,
Natsu

Offline vykintazo

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 09:22:53 AM

Thank you!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert