Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven op 79 Sonata 1st mvt: Cheating composers intentions (sort of)  (Read 2056 times)

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven op 79 Sonata 1st mvt has crossed hands sections that are causing me problems and is the “bottle neck” section for me.  The below is my reference recording that I am using.  At minute 1:23 in this recording you will see one of the cross hands section that repeats a few other times in the work.

It is possible to play ALL the cross hands sections WITHOUT crossing hands and it is EXTREMELY EASY to do also.  I was going to scrap the piece because the cross hands was irritating my left hand second finger due to osteoarthritis.  I will never be able to play this piece as well as this guy, but if I can play the cross hands sections smoothly, reliably and at a good speed without crossing hands, why not?  

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
No reason not to, if it works best for you and is still true to the music.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
No reason not to, if it works best for you and is still true to the music.

Thanks Chopinlover.  I may have found a fingering loophole, but I will be the only one playing it this way.  It will definitely look less flashy without crossing hands.  There are 5 passages with cross hands.  3 are to be played with sustain pedal, 2 without pedal.  I’m pretty sure the “with pedal“ will sound the same fingered either way.  I’ll do my best for the “without pedal” passages, or maybe I'll cheat and use pedal on all 5 passages and do something with dynamics. ;)

EDIT:  Fingering used has the LEFT hand thumb play ALL the off-beat 8th notes.  After practicing for a couple hours, there will be no problems playing with or without the sustain pedal.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Yeah it's fine, but my suggestion would be to consult your teacher and find a way for you to play the crosshands comfortably. I mean assume you would like to play Bach and other baroque composers in the future [you seem like the type of guy], and there's a lot of hand gymnastics in there, so it would be better for you start working on them now than later.

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Yeah it's fine, but my suggestion would be to consult your teacher and find a way for you to play the crosshands comfortably. I mean assume you would like to play Bach and other baroque composers in the future [you seem like the type of guy], and there's a lot of hand gymnastics in there, so it would be better for you start working on them now than later.

Thanks Mjames.  My teacher will have a fit when she see me play it without crossing hands.  Hopefully I can make it sound nice though and explain about my finger.  You are right about gymnastics with baroque composers like Scarlatti.  I love Scarlatti.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert