Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: [VIDEO] ¡Viva Navarra! Jota de concierto by Larregla  (Read 1565 times)

Offline maitea

• PS Silver Member
Hello!

This is live footage from a recital some weeks ago. It is a very joyous piece, not very well known, but lots of fun! :)

Mx
EDIT:
Silly me forgot to post the video.. here it is!

Offline kalospiano

Re: [VIDEO] ¡Viva Navarra! Jota de concierto by Larregla
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:53:01 PM
Surprised no one replied yet: this is really great!

Maybe I'm making an ignorant question but, as I noticed that the part of the very beginning of this piece is exactly the same of a section from Lecuona's Malaguena, I wonder whether the latter copied or simply quoted the former, or if it is simply a traditional Spanish melody that different composers used.

Anyway, excellent playing, very nice piece, gonna listen to more on your youtube channel.

Offline maitea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:05:45 PM
Kalospiano!!! I remarked the same thing regarding both pieces!!!! I knew of the Jota, and some weeks ago bought the Lecuona and I was like.. "hang on a second" ;) I need to ask a musicologist friend of mine, as I don't know the answer either!!! Will keep you posted if I find out :) And thanks for your kind words!
Mx

Offline kalospiano

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:27:41 PM
yes, please, do keep me informed if you find anything :)
do you mind if I ask more info on your background?
How long have you been playing? Are you a professional musician?

Offline maitea

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:53:50 AM
Hi Kalospiano!
Yes, I am. I live in London now, and I mostly play and teach piano and also conduct choirs :)

I begun latish, around 10-11 to play, but that is a long while ago.. so have been playing for quite some time ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert