Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Advice needed : Hoping to play Rachmaninoff.... in 5 years.  (Read 2857 times)

Offline earthizm

Hi, always thankful for many helpful discussions; this is my first post here.

I have played the piano for about 12 years (not so seriously), and there have been so many interruptions so I am kinda behind the average level of those who have played for this long.

Although Chopin is my favorite composer, Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto, especially its first movement, is my favorite piece (of all kinds including the non-classical musics) and it has been such an important part of my life. With a renewed passion for playing the piano, I am hoping to set playing this concerto as my new long term goal. I don't think/expect that I will be able to play this at a very high standard (i.e. concert level) and I will be happy enough if I can play this at some decent level.

I would like to ask
1) whether it would be possible with the current level of commitment (1+hr/day)
2) how many years I would need for this (I hope 5 would be enough..).
3) Should I concentrate on improving techniques (through Etude, etc.), or
4) Can I just continue learning other pieces before eventually start learning the concerto? Which pieces would be helpful in preparing myself for the challenge?

Classical pieces I have learned/played in the past three years are:

Mozart Piano Sonata No.8 in Am, K.310 / 1st mvmt
Beethoven Piano Sonata No.17 in D minor (Tempest) / 3rd mvmt
Chopin Nocturne Op.posth No.16 in C#m
Chopin Nocturne Op.posth No.8 in Cm
Chopin Piano Sonata No.2 in Bbm / 3rd mvmt (funeral march)

And currently practicing  :
Chopin Nocturne Op.72 No.1 in Em
(video: https://goo.gl/photos/TU3VvLYuGgg1fSVF8)
Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 8 in Cm (Pathetique) / 3rd mvmt
(attached audio)
Chopin Ballade No.1 in Gm -- been playing this for five years but never made it happen somehow; I simply lack too many techniques to make it sound right.

I have not learned any Etude yet.

Any comment on the video/audio would be really appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

Offline tenk

Re: Advice needed : Hoping to play Rachmaninoff.... in 5 years.
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:13 PM
I would like to ask
Certainly. Why not? 1+hr of mindful practice a day is a very good pace. If you can split into a few 30-45 minute sessions, even better. However...

Does it matter? Think about all the great music that is out there in between where you are and Rach 2. I would recommend shorter-term goals with pieces nearer your skill level. Otherwise it will seem so far out of reach as to be disheartening.

4) Can I just continue learning other pieces before eventually start learning the concerto? Which pieces would be helpful in preparing myself for the challenge?
Bach can help to accomplish both of these. Personally I would recommend Inventions/Sinfonias at least. What this will do is force slow practice, with proper fingering, and not allowing mistakes to be blurred with pedal. HS/HT, following voice lines, and developing both hands (somewhat) equally, as many of the Inventions/Sinfonias mirror their technical challenges in both hands.

Time, patience, and motivation will get you there, but don't forget to enjoy the journey too!

Offline earthizm

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:56:59 PM
Sorry for the late reply but thanks so much for your advice.

I'm slightly surprised to be suggested trying Bach (I just never thought of playing Bach) but will definitely take a look into it.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:01:30 PM
you need to work on collaborative and accompanying. so work on doing piano duet, piano duo, chamber, solo + piano, and maybe choral accompanying before attempting otherwise you'll struggle w the ensemble, unless i missed a detail and you have a decent arrangement transcription for solo piano? then likely doesn't matter much

Offline muhwu

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:52:20 AM
Interesting, I was about to make a post with roughly the same content, but discovered this on the first page. Definitely solid sounding advice. My level is a way closer to beginner at this point, but the thrive to be able to play something like Rach's preludes (C sharp minor and G minor are my favs out of those) is what's keeping me going. So far I am at around Grade 2 level, so there's a long way for me to go.

Hoping that pragmatic approach and hard work will eventually get me there. I am a bit old to be starting this (although I played some keyboard when I was younger... not sure it helps at this point). As for starting with Rach's style and work, do the same advice apply as for the more advanced?

I am thinking of whether there are types of techniques I should be concentrating slightly more on at an early stage to get it deep in my muscle memory (mainly to save time later I suppose)? For now I'm still playing Tschaikovsky's album  for the young (just to give you an idea of where I'm at).

My teacher told me that going towards romantic compositions is a lifetime process and I don't have a problem with that, but it'd be nice to know it's even possible after starting to play at the mere age of 31. :D

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 03:09:22 AM
I would like to ask
5 years of 1 hours a day of mindful practice is decent for the concerto alone; however, if you wish to learn anything else along side it for those 5 years (and I most certainly hope you do), you may need to step it up a bit. As long as you're practicing because you enjoy it you'll be fine.
To be able to play the notes and interpret it decently is one thing, and for that, 5 years would likely be enough; to be able to play it masterfully, of course, takes a lifetime (as I'm sure you love to hear ;D)
You should probably play some of Rachmaninoff's other music first, to get a sense of his harmonic style. There's loads of approachable stuff for you right now; All of Opus 3 (especially the Elegie, that's a gorgeous piece), there's a fun concert arrangement by Gryaznov of the Italian Polka, and there's a Morceaux de Salon set that're mostly nice. Also check out the preludes, of course, and the etudes tableaux.

Good luck to you, friend. My PM box is always open if you have questions :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert