Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What would you do??  (Read 1353 times)

Offline deandeblock

What would you do??
on: September 02, 2016, 05:23:45 PM
Dear pianofriends!

I have here, two recordings from the ABSRM grade 4 list A.

I have only one question: Which one do you prefer?

BACH or KREBS

work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Re: What would you do??
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:13 PM
Of these two performances? Definitely prefer the Krebs. Very nice!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:47:09 PM
Krebs, it's more relaxed and musical, the Bach sounds a bit stiff and slow still. And it's a boring piece anyway ;)

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:08:06 PM
Krebs, definitely. It has more vitality, and the Bach sounds somewhat mechanical.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline deandeblock

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:23:15 PM
Thanks for all your honest opinions!

Me and Bach..... *sigh* it's probably never gonna work out :/
work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:53:26 PM

Do you enjoy playing Bach? If I were to guess based on your videos, I would assume you enjoy playing the Krebs piece and possibly sigh heavily when forced to play the Bach. :) If you enjoy Bach but find it difficult, what are you struggling with?

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:07:42 PM

I wouldn't worry yourself, it takes a particular play style to make it work, I also never got Bach, where we are lucky, is that there are so many other wonderful composers, it better to play to our strengths than weaknesses
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline deandeblock

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:19:48 PM
Do you enjoy playing Bach? If I were to guess based on your videos, I would assume you enjoy playing the Krebs piece and possibly sigh heavily when forced to play the Bach. :) If you enjoy Bach but find it difficult, what are you struggling with?

I actually like Bach very much ... I think it is mighty music. But playing it properly is something very different.

Its been over two years since I started playing the piano for the first time so let's hope I can still improve my Bach and be good at it

work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 02:24:36 PM
I actually like Bach very much ... I think it is mighty music. But playing it properly is something very different.

Its been over two years since I started playing the piano for the first time so let's hope I can still improve my Bach and be good at it

You've only been playing for two years? Cut yourself some slack :). Playing Bach well is HARD but sounds deceptively easy. It's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy playing Bach when I was a teenage showoff ;). I primarily played for non-pianists and preferred to play pieces that were relatively easy but sounded impressive, not pieces that were difficult and required a lot of work but sounded easy! If you enjoy playing Bach, keep at it. You will get there!

Offline deandeblock

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 07:13:40 AM
You've only been playing for two years? Cut yourself some slack :). Playing Bach well is HARD but sounds deceptively easy. It's one of the reasons I didn't enjoy playing Bach when I was a teenage showoff ;). I primarily played for non-pianists and preferred to play pieces that were relatively easy but sounded impressive, not pieces that were difficult and required a lot of work but sounded easy! If you enjoy playing Bach, keep at it. You will get there!

Thanks!

Do you have some recorded Bach?

Version I really like is this one:
work hard, play hard

Offline pjjslp

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:19:04 PM
Thanks!

Do you have some recorded Bach?

Heck no! Lol. I haven't played any Bach seriously since I stopped taking lessons 25 years ago. I do get my WTC out from time to time to do a little sight reading, but I can't get that excited about spending my limited practice time learning Bach. Just not one of my favorites.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert