Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Sheet music and alternatives.  (Read 2487 times)

Offline gregzyme3

Sheet music and alternatives.
on: September 03, 2016, 01:11:04 AM
Just to say, I have little to no experience with piano. The tiny amount I've played was done during school in music class.

Anyway, my question: Do I need to learn to read music or is there an alternative.
I play guitar and I use tabs, and was wondering if there is something like that for piano. I mean music with the actual key letters on them. I've used them in school, but I can only find it for basic music, which is fine for me when I start, but I want to eventually be able to play music that I like. I don't intend on ever using my piano for anything other than casual playing.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sheet music and alternatives.
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 06:19:50 AM
Not really.
Even if you're just a casual player, sheet music is really the best way to go. Of course, you could learn whatever by ear (which is probably the next best option, since you'll be developing aural harmony skills), but in terms of speed of learning whatever strikes the mood, sheet music will be the best way to go once you invest the time to learn how to read. You can also write your own arrangements of songs/pieces, too.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:39:37 AM
Would you learn to speak a new language without learning how to read and write it?  Sure, you just want to do some traveling and have basic conversation with the locals.  How will that help you to read street signs, directions, navigate, order food from a menu, etc.?

Choosing not to learn how to read music will very likely cause more frustration and time spent later on.  If you want to learn specific music you like it will be far easier to locate it with standard notation. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline avanchnzel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 07:18:47 AM

A truly inspiring message.

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:04:08 PM
Just to say, I have little to no experience with piano. The tiny amount I've played was done during school in music class.

Anyway, my question: Do I need to learn to read music or is there an alternative.
I play guitar and I use tabs, and was wondering if there is something like that for piano. I mean music with the actual key letters on them. I've used them in school, but I can only find it for basic music, which is fine for me when I start, but I want to eventually be able to play music that I like. I don't intend on ever using my piano for anything other than casual playing.

I have used midi software to download midi files and display the notes in a linear format where the notes are listed to the left in a column and you read which row a symbol is placed. The symbol can be anything like a little box or colon, semi-colin, or whatever the software uses . Almost like a spreadsheet. That is as close to tab that I have seen for piano. Of course you can also display real music notation too but you need to know how to read music to do that.

Offline chechig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:35:44 PM
If I were you definitely I will learn to read the scores. It will not take you that long and a great world will open for you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert